Jess is afraid of the dark

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Jess is afraid of the dark

Post by MissEllie »

This is my lovely Jessie in her favourite pose....
She's a 12 year old rescue dog who's the most sweet natured but timid dog ever! For the last few weeks when we've take her out at night for a walk she's been desperate to get home and tonight she did a bolt from us and turned up on the doorstep with her tail between her legs.
My OH reckons her eyesight is failing and this is why she's not coping with being out in the dark. The only other recent change is we'd bought both dogs a light for their collars to wear but it doesn't seem to bother her.
Any thoughts on eyesight/walking her in the dark? My obvious first thought is just leave her inside and only take her out during the day.
I guess I'm just finding it hard to accept she's getting old because she's always been so fit and healthy :?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Sara

Re: Jess is afraid of the dark

Post by Sara »

I dont have any advice really but she is gorgeous! {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think you have found the answer. If she is worried going out of a night, then don't take her. Possibly her failing sight.
At 12, I am sure her daily walks are enough for her and a quick out in the garden for a pee before bedtime.
If it has happened only since the new collars try one time, around the block and no off lead, without the collar to see if she is any different.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Aw she is lovely, Miss Ellie.

Bella our Staffie has been a little reluctant to go out with OH first thing in the morning since the clocks altered as its still dark, but she is fine the rest of the day and we wondered about her eyes as she is nearly 11 yrs old.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks everyone, will try her again tonight without the collar light but I think i'll maybe have to accept she'd prefer to stay in the warm where it's light - mind you, so would I!!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Hi Ellie. I agree with Wendy )t' I think when a dog gets old you have to be dictated to by them. If Jess doesn't want to go out at night, let her stay in. When Kali got old she told us when she had walked enough by stopping and refusing to move till we were in the direction of home. Bless Jessie, she's not daft is she! {hug}
LYN
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We have a twelve year old rescue dog and he's not keen on dark nights either. We just take him to the top of the lane and back, now, which is probably 200 yards. The youg dog goes along with this and we've had no problems at all.

The other walk he's not keen on is the first one of the day. For the past year or so we've just had him out in the garden and I've taken the younger boy for a "thrash". I think that
we are just going to listen to what he's telling us by his behaviour.

We had light collars for him and our previous dog when we used to run them on the beach in the dark. We don't bother now that they are never off lead after the light fails.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.