Oh rats!!!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Joanna
Lively Laner

Oh rats!!!

Post by Joanna »

hello all. I'm loving this site I have found and it amazes me that I have done so from the other side of the world in New Zealand where I have been living for the last month. I have inherited a stunning cottage and land by my grandfather and have moved out here to see where this adventure is going to take me. Already it's such an adventure . So much so I've started a blog http://www.gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com to keep as a journal. There are several little animals/pets to look after here. Cat, pig, chickens, turkey and two rats. Coming from London I have always been nervous of rats and hold the image of them rioting through the London sewers, but to my surprise these two are so beautiful and not at all nippy. Does anyone know if I buy special food for rats or do they eat anything. The neighbor's son has been feeding them dog biscuits and water for the last three months and they seem to be healthy. They come in a large roomy cage. Do they stay in that or can they come out. Both are female thank goodness so no breeding. Rosey and Roxy are their names
( they already had them)
Joanna x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Joanne,
Seems like you are finding new animals daily LOL
My grandsons had rats [they recently died] and they were fed special food. But I am sure they will survive on any typoe of wild bird food, chicken feed and veggies. They certainly do well in the wild on that food.
His came out every day and they were really delightful
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Joanna
Lively Laner

Post by Joanna »

Thanks for that Jen ...just didn't want to kill them off lol. Hi Wendy. Yes it seems like it but I have to say I did know the rats were around somewhere just not sure where. I've been off loading a heap of stuff from my camera and will let you know when it's up on my blog. I do think that's it though. So for now the chickens are continuing to forage on their own, and the turkey, I'm reading up on Molly the pig, now I know what to do with the rats and a cat is a cat is a cat I guess. It seems that the surrounding community, although small, have all chipped in and done what they could for grandfather Tom until someone turned up. They have a strong grape vine here though because they knew I was coming almost before I did!
Joanna x
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Hi Joanna, I have never kept pet rats my self, A friend of mine use to have some and they were very tame. and inteligent!
chickens rock!!!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Hi Joanna,
I had pets rats before and they are lovely little things. They can be trained to know their names, come when called etc, although yours might be too old for much training now - I think they train better when they are juveniles.
I fed mine on pretty much what we ate. They loved spag bol (I cook from scratch and NEVER salt my cooking) and all sorts of beans, chickpeas etc. They also liked rice and all sorts of fruit and veg. For a treat the occasionally got a tiny share of chicken fried rice when we had a chinese takeaway. Bst rule of thumb I was told was - if it's good for you to eat, it's good for your rat. So - lots of fruit and veg, lean meat, salty/sugary/fatty foods only very occasionally as a treat.
I am envy}} I would love to have rats again but owen won't have them near him :(
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Joanna
Lively Laner

Post by Joanna »

Hi Babycakes,
Thank you for leaving me some advice. The rats are about a year old i'm told. My grandfather bought them as tiny things and as he was in good health at the time I suppose he didn't think much of it . Anyway enough of that. i popped and had a look at your website and you sounded a bit overwhelmed with a lot going on for you. Hope things have settled down a little.
Joanna x

htttp://gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com