Positive about sorting my weight this time...

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
manda

Re: Positive about sorting my weight this time...

Post by manda »

{rofwl} {rofwl} Sanity is restored (for now )grin2( )

I think it's a hard one isn't it because yes it will take a long time and then it's for life )gr:
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

manda wrote:{rofwl} Sanity is restored (for now )grin2( )

It's a moving feast {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

Haven't been bothered to do my exercise today - been up listening to the radio since 5.00am, listening to the referendum results, so I'm far too tired. That's my excuse :-D

Manda - I'm going to cull my wardrobe on Sunday. There are a number of hideous items in there (wouldn't look good in any size) which need to go - and I'm going to leave only things which fit me NOW. Anything decent (like coats in sizes which are too small.....) will be packed away and stored. Also thought I may get a Colour Me Beautiful consultation - not for a style appointment, but more colours and make up. Because then I can maybe get some nice fancy scarves to jazz up basic jumpers etc. I've found a reasonably local one, so think I'll drop her a line and find out about availability.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That's a superb idea. I had mine done by a different company a few years ago, and then didn't have any money for new clothes and wasn't going to waste what little I had when 'I was going to lose weight anyway' (guffaw!) Several years later, I have had to buy new things and they are in my colours, and they hide a multitude of sins!! They also make me feel better and give me hope. I also wear mascara and lippy more often.
I had another decent day yesterday - 4 whole days - met a friend for lunch and another later for coffee (discussing referendum before I voted) and ate only diet food except for one biscuit.
The big challenge is the first weekend, starting this evening, since they normally involve excess and OH doesn't want to give up some of the rituals.
manda

Post by manda »

I think that's a great idea...and if you do that then any clothes you've kept that aren't in your colours sell...and then you can use the money to buy clothes that are the right colour for you which will hopefully boost your confidence too )t' :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Freeranger wrote:That's a superb idea. I had mine done by a different company a few years ago, and then didn't have any money for new clothes and wasn't going to waste what little I had when 'I was going to lose weight anyway' (guffaw!)

{rofwl} {rofwl}

Freeranger wrote:I had another decent day yesterday - 4 whole days

)app( )t' Well done! Maybe you could have your usual weekend treats, but just eat/drink less of them? Interestingly, the Paul McKenna approach is to get rid of any diet food and only eat things you enjoy - but only eat when you are hungry and stop when you are not hungry any more. May be worth adopting that approach with your treats >fi< Hope you enjoy them, anyway!
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Oh help, I am really panicking.
I have just tried on my work outfits and they are all rather snug.
I can get them on ok, but they don't fit like they used to.
And I go back to work after maternity leave in just SIX WEEKS yike* yike* yike*
I am not good at dieting even when I am feeling motivated ... I have no idea how I am going to get some weight off in time, and I can't afford a new wardrobe {cry}
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Panic not!! )wav(

Loads of lovely people on here will have lots of very good advice )t'

Have you got a plan of attack?

I'm relatively new on this thread, but my own experience is of following the advice of P McKenna (I know others on here are following other plans, but I don't have any experience of any of them - I'm sure others will follow with some info for you about them). Back to Mr McKenna - there is a book, one volume, called I Can Make You Thin, and it has an accompanying CD. (I downloaded mine to my iPod). I have a fair bit of weight to lose, but three weeks of following his advice has lead to a total weight loss of 11lbs. In a nutshell, you eat when you are hungry and you do not eat when you are not hungry - common sense, maybe, but when you start to pay attention to whether you are really hungry or not, it can be quite shocking to realise how much eating is more of a habit/hobby (!) rather than sustenance.

May be worth you looking at that option to see if you think it sits right with you? It means no calorie counting, no restrictions, no points - eat whatever you normally like to eat, but only eat what you need to eat. (Goes without saying that eating healthy, nutritious food is also a good idea - rather than donuts for breakfast, lunch and dinner {rofwl} ).

I'm sure others will have some really good options to suggest to you, too )t'

If your clothes are just a bit snug then I reckon six weeks of a bit of effort would do the trick.

>fi< >gl<
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I am well and truly off the wagon at the moment but this weekend am going to sit and write a list of SW friendly meals and try to get my head in the right place again! A friend is coming to stay on 30 September with her 2 dogs and she is doing SW so hopefully there will be a couple of SW days along with much dog walking which will certainly get me back into the swing of things!

Elliebear, I can't really add much to what Scrambled has said - find what works best for you and keep reading this thread, it is extremely inspiring and the other ladies have a real way with words that I find very helpful! Just remember that whatever you decide, having a treat or a day off does not represent failure - this is real life and a little bit of what you fancy does you good! Good luck, I look forward to reading about your progress {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I agree with the others Elliebear. 6 weeks should deal with 'snug', and possibly even 'straining at the seams'!!

I'm going to try and read the McKenna book, but in the meantime I'm trying to focus on three meals a day with no snacks and a bit of toning up, planking etc. I don't know if you have to do anything differently as a new mum - presumably some exercises are better than others and you must need to eat a bit of fat if you're breastfeeding. Other Mum's can advise.

I used to do WW point-counting, keeping to a total each day, so blow-outs could be compensated with 'pointless' meals. Low point things are e.g. veg curry or stews, ratatouille, vegetable sauces etc eaten with just enough rice or pasta. Add chicken or fish to make them a bit more filling. Or meals like meat & veg but without the spuds. We have spag bol but served with cabbage instead of pasta, and if you look a few comments back, Manda explains how she makes vegetable spirals as a pasta replacement. I've found that sticking to these very low point meals I'm only getting hungry into the next mealtime, but haven't had my first week weigh yet.

Scrambled, weekend treats are definitely our downfall so definitely do need to minimise them. I've just looked up how many WW points are in alcohol. 20 for a bottle of wine, so about 3-3.5 per small glass, and 7 for a pint of dry cider. The allowance for someone my size is 28 for a day for food and everything! Eeeek!! I must have known this but conveniently forgotten at some point!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I don't know if any of you have come across the British Heart Foundation's 'Heart Matters'? A friend brought me round the magazine as it always has a pull out of healthy recipes, and I was so impressed that I joined. It is completely free and the magazine is posted to you every month or so. A little folder to keep all the recipes in comes with your first issue, and there are usually articles on healthy eating in the mag too.

I have made several of the recipes and they have been easy, tasty and they have details of fat, sugars etc. They also look delicious, and have encouraged me to cook them!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ooh, interesting - thanks Helen! Definitely looks worthwhile and anything that gives me new ideas and recipes is worth a try! )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

jemberelli wrote:A friend is coming to stay on 30 September with her 2 dogs and she is doing SW so hopefully there will be a couple of SW days along with much dog walking which will certainly get me back into the swing of things!

Loads of walking and fresh air will make you feel so much more motivated )t' And as your friend is also following the SW plan hopefully she will help to give you a boost.

Freeranger wrote:Scrambled, weekend treats are definitely our downfall so definitely do need to minimise them. I've just looked up how many WW points are in alcohol. 20 for a bottle of wine, so about 3-3.5 per small glass, and 7 for a pint of dry cider.

Must admit, I did decide to knock alcohol on the head, so haven't had any booze for nearly a month - I don't miss it at all and it hasn't been difficult to do, but it must be having an impact on my weight loss. I didn't do it for that reason - I did it because when I looked at how free and easy I was about pouring the 'odd glass' of wine, it became apparent that it was not actually an 'odd glass' {rofwl} A happy side-effect is that it must be helping with weight loss )t'

I only eat when I'm hungry, but that doesn't mean I don't have treats in what I eat - for example, yesterday I had a lovely cream tea but it was a mini cream tea for two which I shared with my hubby. So I still had a lovely treat, but in reality it was the equivalent of about half or even a third of a normal size cream tea. Thoroughly enjoyed it and felt pleasantly full afterwards rather than slightly sick {rofwl}

Helen - that looks really good and I've just registered online to receive the magazine. The website has some really interesting stuff on it, including information on losing weight - and you can send off for some booklets which have information about doing so. Thanks for telling us all about it {hug}
manda

Post by manda »

I've signed up too...you can never have too much information )like(

Elliebear..don't panic even with slight changes you will be able to get more comfy quickly
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

manda

Post by manda »

Weighed myself this morning (well when I woke up at 12.30!!) and another 400g (just under a pound) gone. Happy Happy....I'm glad I've got my head round even small losses being good losses (I hope it lasts {rofwl} ).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

)c( )c( )c(

Well done, Manda!!! That's a great start to your week )app( Between half and a pound is a sensible, steady rate anyway. Having read some of the info on the website which Helen told us all about, the BHF one, they say that it's more realistic to expect to keep weight off when it's lost at that rate anyway, so you're doing doubly well really - and you shouldn't end up with a skin that's too big either {rofwl}