far-sighted - but I still didn't see it coming.....

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: far-sighted - but I still didn't see it coming.....

Post by kate egg »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} bless her :razz:
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I think I have joined the club!! My eyesight started to go at 40, just like the optician said. I have a pair of reading glasses now on each floor of this house and a pair I leave at work....I still very rarely wear any of them as my arms are quite long. I cant remember to take them shopping so mr seahorse has to read the ingredients list on labels for me, I do try first though and have become a dab hand at squinting :shock: My joints are also getting creaky, horseriding and bellydancing dont seem to help either but I'm determined to ignore the aging thingy, I'm not ready to grow up yet!! Oh and i have a magnifying glass too, arent they amazing? :-D
Looove chucks!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Spencer is the same, seahorse. He rarely remembers his glasses when we go out. So I end up reading the menu to him, it is like taking a child out to eat all over again. I am surprise your belly dancing doesn't help your creaks. Take up pilates, absolutely brilliant. We both go twice a week.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

This is where my childhood ailment has come in handy - I was born with a lazy eye, this was operated on and (almost) put straight when I was in my early 20s.

BUT I am short sighted in my left eye and long sighted in my right :shock: Sounds tricky but as I don't know any different its actually a bonus as I can read very small print as well as newspapers etc which my left eye does, then when I am out and about or watching TV my right eye takes over. It just happens, I have no control over it! I used to wear glasses all the time, and the last pair were varifocals which I really struggled with :?

So for the last 2 years I haven't worn glasses and have got on fine, the only problem I have is with the distance to some computer screens as it is too near for one eye and too far for the other! This one is fine though. And I really could do with glasses for driving, it worries me that if I get a fly in my right eye I won't be able to see where I am going. yike*
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had contact lenses for a year or so and actually got on really well with them. They worked by making me short sighted in one eye and long in the other so I could see everything. You have that for free Kate!

The lenses were so much better than keeping putting on/taking off glasses.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

p.penn wrote:I had contact lenses for a year or so and actually got on really well with them. They worked by making me short sighted in one eye and long in the other so I could see everything. You have that for free Kate!

The lenses were so much better than keeping putting on/taking off glasses.

As long as you put the correct on in each eye yike* {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes! There was that....... :shock:

I put them in inside out a few times too!

{rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I wore contact lenses for 20 years, :-D but then age caught up with me {cry} (not sure when), and I bought some reading glasses from Tessies and took those out with me in case I had to read something. After a few years of taking them on and off millions of times, :? I thought, this is daft, I might as well have varifocals. I still put lenses in though when I go out somewhere nice, :-D as I hate {mr.angry} wearing specs.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thing is they fill us up with these sayings like '60 is the new 40' etc., which may be true.
What I've found is that it may be right as far as the brain goes - just a shame the body doesn't go along with it!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Hmmm, from where I'm standing 40 seems to be the new 60!

CA!
Raven
Lively Laner

Post by Raven »

Ha, there's times I'd give a lot to be long-sighted. I've been wearing glasses since my mid 20's and I'm 40 next year. I don't have a problem with short arms but I do look like Mr Magoo if I forget my specs. The pescription is slowly geting worse too but thankfully it was a weak pescription to start so I'm not up to milk-bottle bottoms yet!
In frith,
Raven

Our Eggs don't Skelter
Jena
Learner Laner

Post by Jena »

Hi Raven and welcome,
I have worn glasses since childhood really but not all the time, I was long sighted and had a lazy eye (so they said) When I got to my 30s I was wearing them all the time and a good optician found I had a congenital growth in my right eye, so I went through months of monitoring, but it was benign, but gradually my left eye got tired of doing all the work.

Now I am long sighted and short sighted and since my 40s the prescription just keeps getting stronger. I used to joke that you knew you were getting old when the first thing you reach for in the morning are your glasses, now it is not so funny.

It was a shock to find I could no longer thread a needle, and at 56 I am fearful of ever being without my bifocals, and that reminds me they need changing again. I also have reading glasses for reading in bed, when I don't need to see anything else.

You do indeed feel like Mr Magoo if you can't find them, especially when they are on your head. Ohh and the genetics thing can go wonky sometimes, I am the only person in my family who is long sighted, and with a faulty right eye, everyone else has been short sighted and mainly in the left eye.

I am still hiding a walking stick I bought to make me feel safer when I am alone here and not sure of my footing in the garden.

I have a magnifying glass that is huge and I love it, my sons think it is joke.

Dream on, they both wear glasses too.

But I can still enjoy a baby chick or the first flowers, lol

Jena.
cluckyclaire
Longlasting Laner

Post by cluckyclaire »

I'm very short sighted and have worn glasses since the age of 5! It wasn't picked up til a routine eye check at school and everyone was amazed at how much i couldn't see!!! They seem to have leveled out in the last few years but have to be careful which frames - smallest possible so that they don't look too much like milk bottles!!!

Claire
Jena
Learner Laner

Post by Jena »

Yes I do the same Claire,

and also if you have too big a frame they can be heavy on your nose if your lenses are thick.
cluckyclaire
Longlasting Laner

Post by cluckyclaire »

Thats just sooo true! Hate wearing glasses!!!