The Final Word on Nutrition

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Steve the Gas

The Final Word on Nutrition

Post by Steve the Gas »

Firstly I'm bullaemic ................ I just haven't been sick yet!! )j;

After an exhaustive review of the research material, here is the final word on nutrition:-

1. Japenese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer feweand suffer fewer heart attacks than us.r heart attacks than us.
4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
6. The French eat foie-gras, full fat cheese and drink red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like. Apparently it's speaking english that kills you!!
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Re: The Final Word on Nutrition

Post by Mallard »

So let’s see; sushi tortilla wrapped around a German sausage with brie, cooked in red wine; we should live forever! With chilli of course! )j; )t'
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sounds more like death on a plate to me yike* {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That needs some serious study! I wonder what it is that we are missing?

I reckon it's processed food.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

p.penn wrote:I reckon it's processed food.

On a serious note, genetic make up is a big deciding factor whether heart disease is likely - compounding it with a diet rich in saturated fats, low fresh fruit & veg, high salt intake and a sedentary life-style will only confirm it quicker. Improved diet and exercise will reduce the risk but it'll always be there.

My uncle (not blood related) used to be very active and extremely careful of his diet - sadly he had a massive heart attack at age 63 years which came as a huge shock to everyone considering his lifestyle, and as he was alone at the time, also suffered brain damage due to lack of oxygen which seriously affected his short term memory. He had been so physically fit before the heart attack, that he recovered but was never the same man and his whole personality was changed ... he lived another 20 years but was a tremendous burden on my aunty as he had to have 24 hour care. She vowed and declared that if she ever had a heart attack, she didn't want anyone to be jumping on her chest and often commented that the kindest thing would have been if her husband had died on that day.

It's left a lasting mark on me - whether to live a careful life & live longer but possibly be a burden on others, or enjoy life now and die sooner?
pugmum
Lively Laner

Post by pugmum »

I dont know about all this as the advice seems to change from year to year. (or month to month maybe) We are supposed to exercise but in the news today, it advises middle aged people not to exercise too strenuously for fear of joint damage/osteoarthritis.

I live in a part of the country were health is generally very poor with many people (apparently) having poor diets, little or no exercise, smoking and escessive drinking. Certainly in my job i see lots of people with heart disease, lung problems hypertension etc.

Maybe its the case that if we do all things in moderation (e.g diet, exercise, drinking etc) and try not to smoke, then that is the best we can do. I guess that eating full fat cheese/cream cakes/ fried food etc on a daily basis is probably not good, but it certainly wouldnt do any harm once or twice a week.
But i have to say that all this 'advice' does confuse me! :?
Julie x
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Post by liskeardjane »

The French eat what they like, but in smaller quantities, walk or cycle every where and have very little of the junk (you can't even buy it if you search) the mexicans, mostly poor - eat a lot less and the japanese eat a lot of fresh fish and veg and very little fat - We get heart attacks because we eat rubbish and don't exercise - On that note I'm off for some toasted homemade bread, with lots of homemade marmalade and I won't count the calories if you don't!
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

I like to try and eat healthy ie eat fruit and veg but I go for natural ie butter not manufactured marg and buy meat not processed meats and I stay away from ready meals but do have the odd takeaway but I have a passion for chocolate and crisps so I try and eat naughty things in moderation. Im active as I walk to work (both jobs) and I go jogging at least once a week and if I cant do an exercise dvd or Tae bo workouts (much to the amusement of my chickens who stand on the patio doorstep wondering what the heck their Mom is doing). I dont add salt to anything as I grew up without salt as my Mom had high blood pressure so it doesnt bother me. Its everything in moderation.