IBS

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kate egg
Legendary Laner

IBS

Post by kate egg »

After a break of quite a few years this horrible thing has started again over the last week or so. Today I have been awake since 6am (about 2 hours before I usually wake up) with terrible stomach cramps etc )sh
Does anyone else suffer this and do you know anything that may help relieve the symptoms?
Steve the Gas

Re: IBS

Post by Steve the Gas »

I used Gaviscon and just curled up and painkillers. Trouble is, I put the symptoms down to IBS- had it sort of intermittantly say over 3 years or more.
But it was my heart not my gut - so be careful please.
Doesn't hurt to get checked but a GP may not be the place to do it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aloe Vera gel is good.
Made by Forever living products, but it is expensive, you may find cheaper versions.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Steve - I take an acid inhibitor sometimes backed up with Gaviscon when needed (have a haitus hernia) - but this is altogehter different. The pains in my lower stomach are reminiscent of labour pains! Had a bad attack of indigestion last year that had to be checked out so had ecg and treadmill test and the ticker is doing fine - well that's something good!

Wendy I don't think I've seen aloe vera as anything other than external use, I'll check it out thx :-D
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi Kate,suffered for years,dont know what triggers a really bad bout although bacon and egg sandwiches have been known to do some damage :oops: Loads and loads of pepermint tea sweetened to taste with honey is what i live on during an attack !It helps pass any gas yike* and eases the cramps )cof(
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Kate, Surgery triggered IBS with me and although some foods and alcohol )sh can set it off, I can usually put it down to stress.. even good anxiety like looking forward to going out for a nice meal can cause a flare up }hairout{ Hubby took me to the Morgans Hotel Swansea (frequented by Catherine ZJ and Michael Douglas) for an anniversary meal last night and I have been in agony since :oops: Nothing to do with the food as it started before we went..
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have been on mild anti-depressants for 3 years and have been weaning myself off them since the new year - now I read that doctors sometimes prescribe them for IBS! So now should I start taking them again or put up with the IBS?

Not sure what else can have triggered it, it started last Tues morning (we'd been out for a meal monday night and I initially thought it was something I'd eaten) and was really bad up to thursday then ok Friday and Saturday which was good as we had gone away for the night, but Saturday evening onwards it has been really bad again - sometimes I have been doubled up with the pain {cry}
wendy

Post by wendy »

https://www.foreverliving.com/retail/sh ... ductDetail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There you go. I have taken it for IBS, tastes foul !!! but it is good.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Post by maz24 »

Hi Kate
I Have IBS and a haitus hernia and am on a diet. Have been on this diet before and found I am so much better and have put it down to not haveing saturated fats. Am just wondering if as its happened before when dieting, this is an answer
Maz
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have suffered on and off and for me, I think it is dietary. Less food and no alcohol seems to help (sorry) but also I was recommended these natural peppermint capsules from boots by my doc, though sorry, can't remember the name. They seemed to help too.

Personally, I'm not sure you ought to be thinking about re-starting the anti depressants really Kate. There must be more natural remedies out there for you.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Colofac seems to help me and a few I've spoke to, get it without script )t'
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Hi st johns wort is a natural anti depressant, i came off proper ones from docs over time but last year I felt "wobbley" so starting taking the st johns wort and it put me back on an even keel. You can buy almost anywhere in the vitamins ailse )t' Hope this helps x
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well I am really pleased that I have not taken any anti-d's for about 3 weeks now, and I am feeling fine. I hopefully won't need them again :-D

I stopped having tummy troubles about 2 weeks ago but it flared up again on Friday, and I keep having to dash off :oops: I am not suffering with acid reflux thank goodness, but could do without these gurgles. I nearly bought some Coplermin today but at nearly £6 :shock: I need to be more certain it will help. Peppermint is something I will def give a try )t'
Kelly
Lively Laner

Post by Kelly »

Hi Kate.

My Hubby had IBS for years. He had surgery to remove a large part of his bowel 2 years ago. He's had the all clear from the consultant but since then, he still regularly has lots of tummy ache, rushing to the loo, etc, etc, stays close to loo.

When he has a 'bad day' he takes peppermint cordial (about 1 desertspoon or so) with equal part hot water. He says this helps a lot. This is what they gave him in hospital following surgery, even before he started eating again. Thought you may want to try it. Hope it helps a little.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Poor hubs Kelly {cry} sounds awful. I will try the peppermint cordial, I think a lot of IBS remedies actually contain peppermint. It had settled for a few weeks but although not as bad as when I started this thread it is still uncomfortable, I also feel really bloated a lot of the time too :?