Baby's breathing problems

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Baby's breathing problems

Post by lizziedoggarden »

My OH's nephew's baby is in hospital because he stops breathing quite alot and he has to be resusitated every time..does anyone know what causes this and if it's something baby will grow out of? Never heard of anything like this before?
+confused+
Baby is only 2 months old. {cry}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Steve the Gas

Re: Baby's breathing problems

Post by Steve the Gas »

Apnea or sleep apnea, can be related to cot death or whatever they call it now.
Sudden Infant ......... syndrome I think.

Goggle it - to see if it sounds like it.

>fi< >gl<
wendy

Post by wendy »

Dunno what it is called, but I have heard of it and I believe they grow out of it.
We have a number of nurses on here, I am sure they can help out.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Benny & Co is a paediatric person, I believe. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

That's right Steve, I'm a paeds nurse so I look after babies and kiddies age 0-16 in hospital )t'

I'm glad they've admitted him Lizzie, even though it'll be awful for the baby and his family being hospital, at least they're checking everything out.

When you say he has to be resuscitated do you mean 'full on' chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth? Does it happen through the day or only at night? Are there any other medical conditions? How is his feeding? Was he born full-term or premature?

In my experience little babies almost 'forget' to stop breathing sometimes - even when they're perfectly healthy. A little stimulation and they're fine - but it's easy for me to say from a nursing/hospital point of view and not extremely anxious parents at home, with their precious little one.

If they do suspect sleep apnoea (stopping breathing at night), they can provide monitors for parents to attach to baby and use at home. This will alert them to changes in breathing patterns.

I hope they get to the bottom of what's causing it {hug&kiss} and are getting well looked after in hospital too {hug&kiss}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

It happened four times over two days..and yes they have to do the full works..they have shown them how to do baby rescusitation etc..not heard anymore as yet and don't like to keep phoning.. )sh
They have also given them on of those pad things but think the poor parents darn't sleep at the moment.
Awfully worrying.. {cry}

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh bless them all, I'm sure it's an extremely fraught time for them {cry} The litte one's in the right place though Lizzie, hopefully they can find out what's happening.

Big {hug} to you all {hug&kiss}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Thanks Bev {hug}

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm guessing as you're in Suffolk Lizzie, they'll be at Addenbrookes? I've heard their paediatrics has an excellent reputation )t'
Bev x

LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

{cry} very worrying for you all. I hope it's an easily fixed thing :) My friend's little one had to have a mat in his cot to monitor his breathing - he's five now & you would never suspect that anything had ever been wrong - hope it's the same for your nephew.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Benny&Co wrote:I'm guessing as you're in Suffolk Lizzie, they'll be at Addenbrookes? I've heard their paediatrics has an excellent reputation )t'

No, my son is under a paediatric team at Addenbrookes but baby is in Notts..so is at Queens Medical Centre. )t'

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

lizziedoggarden wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:I'm guessing as you're in Suffolk Lizzie, they'll be at Addenbrookes? I've heard their paediatrics has an excellent reputation )t'

No, my son is under a paediatric team at Addenbrookes but baby is in Notts..so is at Queens Medical Centre. )t'

Oh okay Lizzie, well let's hope they're all getting well looked after and that they find out what's happening soon {hug}
Bev x

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

They've done a bunch of tests and nothing untoward has come back..so not sure what to make of it? +confused+

They are home now and touch wood not happened since.. +confused+

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

It's a puzzle isn't it hun +confused+

I expect they'll keep an eye on him though. Hope the parents are coping as okay as they can do, they must be distraught {cry}
Bev x