Saving 30,000 calories a year

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Saving 30,000 calories a year

Post by Mo »

Yes, some years ago I changed from gaining to losing weight by cutting out the second slice of bread (and butter and jam) at breakfast. I wasn't really hungry, it was just habit.

My theory is that it's the word AND that has all the calories. OR is much less fattening.
(You know, when you say 'which shall I have', and end up eating both)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

I just never think that 'one' slice of bread has THAT many calories, but it sure does seem to make a difference.
I need to cut out the loaves and not the slices though~
Good thread, Sunny B~ summer is coming and NOW is the time to think about trimming the waistline! :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Sunny B wrote:
RuthG wrote:Me too :oops: Leftover mash or boiled, into the frying pan; other times, anything from chips to fried potatoes - love 'em all )t'

I have a Tefal actifry which is brilliant - you can make chips for the family with one tablespoon of oil, and I use olive oil to be even healthier. I also make yummy fried bread in it, again with a couple of teaspoons of olive oil.

YES! This IS what I do, Sunny. You know, olive oil is the only oil that won't solidify in your arteries (Dr. @ndrew Wei1). I even bake my cakes with it. Good non stick pans are a healthy investment really, aren't they? :-D
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

morning, we have a bread over here called Nimble that is about 45 calories but the loaves are not very big and it works out quite expensive.
I too love bread and potatoes, homemade chips are completely different in taste to frozen ones, basically I love potatoes in all shapes and form. My mum used to give us cream of tomato soup with a dollop of mashed potato in it, liked it then but could`nt face that now.
So many calories can be saved by just cutting back and exercising more.
:-D
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Goodness, I remember Nimble - always reminds me of a girl floating away in a hot air balloon while they are playing 'she flies like a bird in the sky-y-y-y; she flies like a bird and I wish that she were mine; she flies like a bird, oh me oh my-y I see her fly...' in the background.

Goodness, does that age me or what yike*
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I remember that advert as well so you are not alone. Don`t see any advert for it now.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

mrs boodles wrote:morning, we have a bread over here called Nimble that is about 45 calories but the loaves are not very big and it works out quite expensive.
I too love bread and potatoes, homemade chips are completely different in taste to frozen ones, basically I love potatoes in all shapes and form. My mum used to give us cream of tomato soup with a dollop of mashed potato in it, liked it then but could`nt face that now.
So many calories can be saved by just cutting back and exercising more.
:-D

You've just reminded me. I make creamy potato soup with ham; oh, it's so good.
And yes, I need to start with the smaller portions at meal times, for both of us.
My husband asked me to take a walk with him today~ We love to walk and do quite a bit of it really~It's great for the heart and the more I walk, the looser my clothes get on me. It must be good exercise! The problem is, I do less of that in the winter and more of the food! :-D
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I have a breadmaker too, but bought the Sara Lee because I was trying to count my calories. Gotta have bread of some kind. Love it. And I sure agree about potatoes. They are good no matter how they are cooked. My favorite is baked with lots of butter and sour cream!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Americanlady wrote:I have a breadmaker too, but bought the Sara Lee because I was trying to count my calories. Gotta have bread of some kind. Love it. And I sure agree about potatoes. They are good no matter how they are cooked. My favorite is baked with lots of butter and sour cream!

Oh, me too, with the butter...especially on the bread, as soon as it comes out of the oven. I need to practice some self control~~ >dum<
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Bread half inch thick with a quarter of an inch of butter - heaven! )eat(

A friend used to dip her bread in olive oil, which I thought would be no substitute, but actually when I got round to trying it, it's not too bad!

Yes, I remember Nimble and the balloon girl. The loaves were round, too.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Sunny B wrote:Bread half inch thick with a quarter of an inch of butter - heaven! )eat(

A friend used to dip her bread in olive oil, which I thought would be no substitute, but actually when I got round to trying it, it's not too bad!

Yes, I remember Nimble and the balloon girl. The loaves were round, too.

See, you know how to eat your bread!

An Italian restaurant I used to go to served their bread with a ramekin of olive oil and grated parmesan...oh, was it ever good! :-D