weak knee'ed

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: weak knee'ed

Post by ChrisG »

Well the verdict:

I have a pre-existing condition (Baker's cysts) but that should have no effect whatsoever, apart from causing them to swell a bit the first few times I go out. That's not news, as that is what happens every time i dont do exercisthen do some.

Running is not ruled out just because my knees dont work properly. The cause of them not working properly is sitting down too long for several years now with minimal exercise. Therefore a gradual increase in exercise should improve things rather than make them deteriorate.

I have some exercises to do to strengthen the thigh muscles as these are the muscles that support the knee joint. Need to do these as often as I remember but at elast once or twice each day. They include lunges, knee bends and leg raises (two different ones).

As long as I start gently, I should have no problems. The programme I have chosen starts with regular walking, then walk/jog, then jog/walk, before jogging full time. It takes about 7-8 months to get to running full time and then it is only for half an hour a time, so should be fine.

All I need now is to get some proper running shoes to limit the banging to my joints as i run.

Finally, the place I have to run is an old railway track that is now a footpath. It is edged with grass (no pavements) so I can run on there.

Sorted; thanks for your input, everyone )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

The couch to 5k program is worth a look
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

This programme is very like the couch to 5k, but slower in its progression. As I find it hard to keep up jogging for even 60 seconds )scare( it seems appropriate for me to start more slowly.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good you have got a plan to start at the bottom and work your way up. So many people just dive in and have problems.
John O Groat to Lands End, next on the agenda ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

{rofwl}

In half hour (aka 3mile) bursts, it would take forever!
Chris xx