Depression

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Depression

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Scoobs I'm so sorry to hear what's happened overnight.

Here's hoping that your mum and you all are getting the support that you need {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Well I am pleased to say things are finally looking up. The doc has been out every day. The meds she has been given seems to be working. She has slept through the night, is dressing herself and has even emptied the dishwasher and done some hoovering! We are taking things day by day but with the right medication and the support of family and friends she is getting better. Thank you for your king words and support. {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Phew. I hope she continues to improve >fi< {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

Hi Scooby

Your post caught my eye - I am a fellow sufferer and have to keep an eye on myself incase I get over stressed which can lead to an episode. It's also in my family and just before xmas my Dad started going downhill again. He's got a very good community psychiatric nurse who keeps an eye on him but I, like you, go round and see what I can do. I feel so helpless that I cant make him better - but I think being there and being able to understand how your Mum feels is very important. I really do believe that unless you've had depression you cannot begin to understand how it feels. Dad is now in hospital (has been since 3 Jan) and is much improved. He's coming out for a weekend on Friday.

I also think that walking is very good for mental health. I would also suggest anything that can stop you for ruminating for a while - some sort of distraction, however small, is good. It can be difficult if your concentration is poor when you are down though. With Dad he finds he can't concentrate enough to read or watch TV so we try to find something to do around the house together.

I haven't had an episode for just over a year now - although I am still on medication (and have been advised to stay on) and I have found Mindfulness to be really good in helping prevent relapse. It's now recommended by NICE and sometimes available from the NHS. It's not recommended to start mindfulness while in the middle of an episode but when you are well - and it helps keep you well. There are some really good books with CDs out there - let me know if you would like the names. It may be helpful for you - and then later for your Mum when she gets well.

And do remember that depression, horrible though it is, is very treatable. Sometimes it takes some sorting out of the right meds but people do get better - and your Mum will too. If your Mum hasn't got a community nurse assigned to her you could always ask the GP - and keep badgering them until they take notice. Some GPs are not expert in mental health so may need you to tell them how they can help. Your local mental health team will know all the resources available. Again you may have to keep asking (and this can be knackering in itself).

Take care and look after yourself too. I think it's an excellent idea to have a break - you need to keep your own wellbeing topped up at the moment.

take care

Ruby {hug}
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

It's me again - I am SO SORRY - I only saw the first page of posts and have now read the other 3!
:oops: :oops:
What a nightmare for you - I will say a prayer and light a candle for you and your Mum. I really hope things are going in the right direction now.

Take care
Ruby the not very techno
xxx {hug}
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

So pleased your mum has made a bit of a forward step , I hope it continues for all concerned.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So glad she had a better night, that's an answer to prayers. Will keep thinking of you all, make sure you're looking after yourself as well as your mum. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

{hug} glad things are improving for you - take care x
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Keep putting the pressure on, Scooby. The ones who shout loudest tend to be the ones who get attention.

I was a listener for the Samaritans and I am saddened by the lack of support for mental health. Very often, support services would shut down for the weekend and those in distress were told to ring the Sams. We did what we could but quite often it wasn't enough.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
manda

Post by manda »

I'm glad to hear things are making a turn for the better by the sounds of it..... {hug&kiss} {hug}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

So glad to see that things are picking up Scoobs, you're so right in taking each day at a time {hug} {hug}

Ruby {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

How are things?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Getting Better each day. Mum has no recollection of her 'episode.' hopefully in time she'll get back to normal. She is getting there, slowly but surely.

Thank you for your concern. The kind words and encouragement from the lovely people of DTL have been a great boost and comfort during this hard time :)
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

{hug}
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Glad to hear things are improving {hug} long may it continue {hug}
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!