Allergies

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Allergies

Post by LisaB »

Yes, yes, another health problem :-D
I didn't have any allergies until I was about 10, when one summer I got hay fever. Then shortly after it seemed I became quite snuffly around the cats.
I've been on the strongest allergy tablets that can be prescribed for me and they're meant to work for 16 hours - to be honest most of the time I'm snuffly through the day but not so much sneezy.
The thing is, is when I wake up on a morning, whatever time that is, within 2 minutes I'll start sneezing, then I wont have to sneeze all day UNLESS I take a nap (which I do quite a bit at the moment because I barely sleep on a night) - then the exact same thing will happen - I'll wake up and start sneezing within 2 minutes.
Why is this? Am I allergic to sleep? +confused+

Also, I can stay around someones house for a few days - someone with no pets - can be the middle of winter and the exact same thing will happen when I wake up.

I had an allergy test about a year ago and it came back that I was allergic to nothing when there is clearly something going on :?

My doctor doesn't seem the best with allergy type things, so was just curious if anyone has the same problem with allergies? Thank you :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Allergies

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh bless your heart Lisa, I don't think you'll be allergic to sleep at all {hug}

Interesting how your allergy tests came back negative +confused+

Which anti-histamine tablets are you taking? It could just be that the one you're on isn't as effective for you. There's lots out there and I do think personally that it's a case of finding one that suits you best.

As far as my allergies go, I'm most definitely allergic to cats. I only have to look at a cat, I start wheezing, sneezing and eyes streaming. Even if I have a patient who has cats, that can set me off as well!! I take certirizine every day, one tablet of 10mg.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I take 180mg Fexofenadine, I think that's right +confused+
If I didn't take my tablets I would be worse, with the watery eyes and the wheezing.

It does just seem really bizarre that my tests came back negative, and just the sneezing as soon as I wake up, even when it is winter, and cats aren't allowed in my room but it makes no difference.
And like my last boyfriend had no pets at all - and I stayed around there quite a bit and it made no difference. I just don't understand +confused+
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Some folk are more likely to sneeze than others because their noses dont sift out as much dust particles etc. apparently a cup of tea in the morning in bed is good as the steam wakes up the little thingys (sorry cant remeber the technical term) in your nose and the back of the throat.
Do you use any nasal sprays or have any sinus problems.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I always have a cuppa tea when I wake up :-D
I tried using a nasal spray but I just can't do it every day, the feeling is so awful it made me gag so much, it's like I dread doing it :?
My mum has sinus problems and I don't believe mine is the same as hers, when I went to the doctors they never mentioned anything about it being a sinus problem :?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

maybe you should ask your GP for a referral to ear, nose & throat? :?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

MissEllie wrote:maybe you should ask your GP for a referral to ear, nose & throat? :?

I'll try, that's what I wanted before but he just sent me for an allergy test and didn't even ask me to come back when it came back that there was nothing wrong. I think I'll have to try one of the other doctors in the surgery :?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Good luck Lisa )t'
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you {hug}
So do you think it could be a sinus problem? But I've had it since I was about 10 :?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ellie's given you some fab words there Lisa )t'

Definitely think it's worth seeing another doctor in the practice and trying to get an ENT referral too. Can't do no harm.

I checked the BNF and you are indeed on the maximum dose of your Fexofenadine. There was nothing specific in the side effects in relation to the sneezing.

Maybe when you back to the doc, ask about an alternative anti histamine?

{hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I will do, thank you both {hug}
I'll be making an appointment within the next few days about my sleep so I'll ask about it then. To be honest I did just think it was allergies, but recently I've started thinking about it and it doesn't seem normal does it :?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

you could always try a decongestant before seeing the GP in case it's to do with your sinuses.

Bev - maybe we should start our own clinic {rofwl}
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I would like to get another blood test done anyway tbh, cause if it comes back clear both times I can rule out allergies, can't i?
And I need to go about my sleep anyway, so :?
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I'm on the same as you Lisa. I seem to get so many stupid allergies (mainly to fruit which I just love too much to give up) and they've been the best ones for me. But it has been trial and error to find one that worked - everybody reacts differently to different dr-ugs so it could be that they're just not that great with you.

Could you be allergic to whatever your pillow is made out of?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hmm maybe it is worth trying another :?
I've got hypo allergenic pillows and then use whatever my friends have at their house and it never makes a difference.
I think I'm allergic to fresh air :-D