More tummy upset

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

More tummy upset

Post by Spreckly »

We have had a very disturbed night, my husband started with the all too frequent visits to the bathrom at just gone midnight. Thank goodness I got the rehydration powder yesterday. Things have settled again, but around twenty visits were made across the landing. The antibiotics were finished mid week, and I shall be phoning the surgery when they open in one hour.

We have such a busy weekend ahead, helping out at the Church Coffee morning - so we will be one pair of hands down!

OH just nibbling some dry toast.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: More tummy upset

Post by bluebell »

Ooooh, last year I had a dental abcess and was put on a course of two lots of antibiotics. Of course as well as killing the bad bacteria in the abcess they wiped out all the good bacteria from eveywhere :? result um, really bad tummy upset (I guess that is as polite as I can put here). I ended up buying those little yoghurt drinks with added good bacteria to try and get my tummy back to normal. Have to say I still get occasional tummy problems :oops:
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Wow, he's been having a terrible time. You are doing your best to help him. Please let us know what they decide is wrong with him, and if it's contagious too. I'd hate to see you get it next!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you American Lady. Our Doctor told us last week that it was campylo bacta - unsure of spelling - not contagious, but I have just had a quick look on the internet, and it says it is! Our loo has never been so clean!

OH has had some toast, a shower, and is now downstairs. Just waiting to phone the surgery in twenty minutes or so. Going to have a rehydration drink now.

He hates yoghurt, and the drinks, which I take on a daily basis.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Take good care of yourself, too.
wendy

Post by wendy »

My goodness, again !
I feel sorry for him.
I think he needs a little more investigation now and more aggressive treatment.
I wish him well .
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

>fi< they can sort him out once and for all.
LYN
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Spreckly, if you have a health food shop near you, you can buy the probiotics (that protect and nourish all the good bacteria) in capsule or tablet form, which might suit your OH better - if you go in and tell the staff what you want and why, they should be able to recommend some.
Hope he's better soon.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep in Barratt & Holland.
Acidopholus [s] it will be in the fridge.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh dear poor MrSpreckly {cry} you're having a terrible time.

Hope you got on okay at the docs, as he finished his ABOs mid week, I wouldn't have thought that would be causing the diarrhoea today and it's still the infection.

Spreckly, I hope you won't mind me saying, but I wouldn't let MrSpreckly handle any food or drinks at the church event, just in case it is infectious. If it is indeed campylobacter, it is infectious - here's some information:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733773543

Did the doctor take a stool sample?

I really hope he's feeling better soon and so glad you'd got some of the rehydration therapy too - it'll sure help perk him up.

Big {hug} to you both.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your replies. I do have Acidopholus at home, take it myself - anti-thrush treatment! So will make sure OH has a daily dose.

The Doctor who phoned this morning was not the one OH saw last week, he doesn't want to give any more anti-biotics, says he doesn't believe in them.

OH much better, managed a stool sample, which I've taken to the surgery, and also bought some more rehydration powders, and Coke as it is almost the weekend.

Bev, I don't mind your advice at all, thanks for it. No, OH will not be at the Coffee Morning tomorrow, after this little blip.

Doctor who came last week said it was not contagious. I am never sure if there is a difference between infectious and contagious.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I do hope Mr. Spreckly feels better soon and they can sort it out for him. You both take care. {hug} {hug}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Infectious and contagious are the same - as is flammable and inflammable.... )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I had a campylobacter infection about 4 yrs ago ..I got it from an Indian restaurant ..put me off indian food for life }hairout{ .. anyway, your Dr was right it's not contagious as in air borne ..but it is infectious as in you can spread it by ingestion .. you need to put everything through the dishwasher or boil crocks and cutlery if you don't have one .. it can take months to be clear of the bacteria once you have it .. it was 5 months before my tests came back clear )gr: ... no kissing either +f+ hope hubby feels well soon {hug} .. I'm sure you'll be hearing from the local H&S if the results come back positive as they will want to trace the source )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

jannie wrote:I had a campylobacter infection about 4 yrs ago ..I got it from an Indian restaurant ..put me off indian food for life }hairout{ .. anyway, your Dr was right it's not contagious as in air borne ..but it is infectious as in you can spread it by ingestion .. you need to put everything through the dishwasher or boil crocks and cutlery if you don't have one .. it can take months to be clear of the bacteria once you have it .. it was 5 months before my tests came back clear )gr: ... no kissing either +f+ hope hubby feels well soon {hug} .. I'm sure you'll be hearing from the local H&S if the results come back positive as they will want to trace the source )t'

Good grief Jannie! Boiling crocks and cutlery! No, I don't have a dishwasher. When we had salmonella in the home some forty years ago, the only restrictions were no visitors for cups of tea, food, etc., and we didn't go out for the same. Not that anyone was well enough to do so. They are certainly much more stringent nowadays.

OH still OK, has had his rehydration drink, his flat coke, and some toast. Fish for tea.