Headaches

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mad Chick

Headaches

Post by Mad Chick »

I've been getting really severe headaches for the last two or three weeks. I'm pretty sure they are stress related as they started right when we started having problems at work and the only time they went away was when I was off work for a couple of days last weekend when we went away. I'm working on the source of the stress at work but there's not going to be a quick fix for this one and I can't see it getting any less stressful for the next few weeks at least.

I've never suffered from migraines before so not sure if this is what it is. My head feels like a huge weight is on top of it with the main pain across my forehead and back of my neck. It's the kind of headache that makes me feel sick when I move my head and the light is really hurting my eyes. I've been taking co-codamol and ibuprofen which take the edge off for about an hour and then it comes back again and I have to wait until I can take the next dose. Closing the curtains and lying down in a darkened, quiet room seems to help but with so much work to do and all the usual 'mum' stuff, I can't do this all day.

Any other tips or ideas or advice for getting rid of them would be really appreciated )hlp>
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: Headaches

Post by Lillia »

I feel so bad for you, Lucy. Is there any way that others at home or job can take on some of your work? You need to break free from some of the stress~ {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lucy honey, that sounds truly rotten {cry}

I'm quite worried you're taking your co-co, along with ibuprofen and it's only giving you a bit of relief. Have you been on that combination for a whole 2/3 weeks and also have you been taking maximum dose? Co-co every four hours and ibuprofen every 6/8 hours.

Glad they went away at the weekend, that's good, was this completely?

You mention a dislike of the bright lights and also your neck too - can you move your head forward and bend it to touch your chest?

Big {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

So sorry you are suffering.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, have you seen a doctor?
Not sure ibrupofen is the best thing I thought it was anti-inflametary? I use syndol, paracetamol and caffine.
I had never discribed my headaches as migraine as they are not that painful but do make me sick, my G.P said that if they make you sick then they are, maybe you need something more for migraines.
Have you given anything up lately? When I stopped drinking coffee I got horrible withdrawl headaches, same with alcohol, so I started again quick! :-D
Hope you feel better soon.
Sarah
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

You're right Saz, ibuprofen is a member of the NSAIDs family and is a pain killer with anti inflammatory properties )t'

Together with the co-codomol, which is paracetamol and codeine, they all work well together :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen almost daily for the last three weeks and to the maximum dose only when it's got really bad. I got the co-co yesterday as I wanted to try something stronger and have taken them both to the maximum dose since yesterday morning. I can move my head OK, it just makes me feel a bit sick and dizzy when I do.

I'm sure it's stress related as it went completely when I was away from work. It's not the amount of work that's the problem, just a personal situation there that is making me very unhappy and causing me a lot of sleepless nights which isn't helping. I have thought about seeing the doctor but knowing my GP, she'll want to sign me off with the stress (which may well be the right thing medically to do) but I really need to sort out the problems which I can't do if I'm not there. I normally love my job.

Early night tonight and see how I feel tomorrow and if no better I'll rethink the doctor. Maybe she could organize a head transplant :?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I'd go to the Doctors Lucy. I have high blood pressure and that started with vicious headaches and ended with me passing out.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hi Lucy so sorry to hear about your headaches, it sounds really awful for you at the moment {hug} . Over the counter painkiller-wise you're taking the right things although it might be worth trying something like Imigran which is a tablet especially for migraines and can be bought from pharmacies.
Other causes could be high blood pressure as Maggie said, or vision (ie are you due an eye test?) As well as painkillers it's worth trying things like essential oils like lavender to help you sleep, put a couple of drops on your pillow or in a bath before bed. The tiredness will be contributing to the headache/ stress. Also make sure you're drinking lots of water during the day as dehydration is another common cause.
I'm sure you're right and it's probably stress related but given the amount of time it's gone on its maybe worth seeing your GP just to rule out BP etc. It may be they could prescribe something to help you sleep/get rid of the headaches in the short term.
Hope you sleep well and fingers crossed your stress causes are sorted soon. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I'm no doctor, but it sure sounds like your headaches are stress-related. Before I retired I was having migraines two or three times a week. I did go to my doctor and he told me that I was having stress-induced migraines. You may be surprised to hear this, but he put me on Prozac, the anti depressant. It's been nearly ten years and I haven't had any kind of a headache. I still take Prozac, but only every other day now. It was like a miracle to me. Still is.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

How are you this morning Lucy?

Hopefully you slept well, the codeine usually makes you sleep.

I'm with the others too and would like you to see your GP, if only to rule out other things {hug} {hug}
Bev x

Sara

Post by Sara »

Nothing constructive that i can add Lucy, I suffer with Migraines from stress too so i know how awful you feel. {hug}

Hope you feel better very soon, and try and rest a little {hug} {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

When I started my job, it was generally a very stressful time for me anyway. I missed the whole of my very first week with a blinding head and sickness - so much so that I couldn't open my eyes or even get out of bed. Honestly, I thought it was something serious at the time but thinking about it now, possibly it was a migraine.

It does sound like stress is affecting you though. have you thought about some relaxing herbal teas before bed? Chamomile and limeflower (Twinnings) works wonders.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Bless you {hug} We are cursed with migraines in our family......The causes can be many and varied.....differing from headache to headache }hairout{ Stress can be a trigger,as can sleep deprivation and hormones.....you body reacts to increased levels of cortisol.....the stress hormone...by relaxing the blood vessels in the head.......sometimes taking a painkiller that mimics this does nothing, which is why you get little relief...and that is from the painkillers that block the pain not the anti inflamatory pills!!!!Appart from the misery they cause they are debilitating because you cannot function normally whilst either having one or waiting for the next one!!!!! Go to your GP......just to rule out anything else )t' If she signs you off then you will have to go into work specially to sort out the situation...but you can't do that effectivly if you are in pain!!!!!! Lecture over :oops:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Headache is much better today. I forced myself to go to yoga last night as I thought the breathing and relaxation bit would do me good. I did sit out quite a few of the exercises as a lot of them were upside down and the pressure on my head felt too much. I can still feel the pain in my head but at least I can move it without feeling sick :-D

I checked my blood pressure this morning (mum has a home blood pressure machine) and it was 127/71 which I think is fine. But I will make an appointment to see the doctor next week if it's not gone by then. Nick is getting me some imigran today (thanks Miss Ellie )t' ) so at least I can try that if it comes back with a vengeance and he's also bringing home so chamomile and limeflower tea (thanks Helen )t' ).

I can't think of any other causes, I did wonder if my new glasses were making it worse but it hasn't helped switching back to my old ones. I haven't cut anything out of my diet or added anything in. I AM smoking more than normal ( :oops: ) but again, I think that's due to stress. I didn't smoke at all yesterday though as it made me feel sick.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll let you know how I get on >fi<
Lucy x

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Hope you feel better soon Lucy {hug} {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!