Air Fresheners

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Air Fresheners

Post by echelon »

I have an almost fanatical hatred of all air fresheners. They have those industrial automatic ones at work (care home), which pump out their toxic emissions every 15 minutes or so. I started to get chronic sinusitis and put it down to these things at work. I secretly go around switching them off every time I go in, or I end up with a blinding headache - the other nurse does as well funnily enough. Even though they've all been disabled for over a week, nobody has even noticed and switched them back on again, which just goes to show that if you keep somewhere clean and well ventilated enough, they're not even required.

I came across one of those plug in ones in a resident's room, but I had to unplug that as well because I was feeling so sick and dizzy whenever I went in there.

Why do people use them? They smell so awful. My next door neighbour must have millions of them because every time she opens her back or patio door the smell drifts over into our garden and it's nauseating. I have to go inside sometimes just to escape the smell.

I've read up about them and they contain neurotoxins apparently.

What are your thoughts on these air freshener thingys?
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Can't stand them, never use them, I perfume the air with my sunny personality :-D
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
echelon
Longlasting Laner

!

Post by echelon »

*lol* Glad to hear it! :-D
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Whats wrong with opening a window and getting some fresh air in?

These things cost a fortune, and I cant stand the chemical smell you get from them.

They give me a headache too, I`m with you on this one!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Yeah, I'm a fresh air fan too :-D She has a little doggy next door and my husband says that dogs have very sensitive noses and it'll be making him feel very ill.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

None here either, although I sometimes wonder if I should with a dog, cat and two teenage boys :shock: Only one we have is in the bathroom, and that is a trigger one, not aerosol, but need it to mask certain pongs :oops:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Can't have them or candles I have parrots, and they can damage their air sacs.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I used to drive all the lorries at beeee-n-quuuuu, and as soon as I got in one with an air freshener I had to hunt for it and wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the locker. Sometimes when I was in a rush I set off before I found it, but soon had to stop because my throat and nose was getting sore. They had those magic trees, awful. Open windows and fresh air for me.

Thank god for the smoking ban as well, the stink of stale tobacco was worse. There was a driver who smoked cigars all night, if they gave his lorry to me to drive I refused, and if there wasn't another vehicle I got sent home.

Ilona
hfbinnie
Lively Laner

Post by hfbinnie »

they can damage their air sacs.

They damage my air sacks too!

My next door neighbour must have millions of them because every time she opens her back or patio door the smell drifts over into our garden and it's nauseating

My neighbour must have millions to because the sickening smell leaches through a 2 foot solid stone wall at times!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I don't know what my house must smell of, probably dog, boys, cat, and dinner (roast lamb). Still at least they aer real smells.

I used to have one of those plug in things but then I read about them catching fire I chucked it away :shock:
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I can guarantee to sneeze when I walk down the washing powder and air freshener aisle in a supermarket. Those chemicals must be very powerful.

Never had an air freshener in the house, never use fabric conditioners, and always use the most minimum of chemicals. I even have to hold my nose if I have to spray a kitchen cleaner in the sink.

For pongs in little rooms the best thing is to strike a match - as in the old saying "Cor, strike a light!"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I HATE air fresheners with a vengence - thought it was just me! I just can't see the point of masking a bad smell with an even worse one!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Nope me neither...is the house is whiffy I open a window or (if possible) put the offending article outside. If I feel the need for a different smell (which to be honest isn't very often) I burn some oils.
With our additions lately mostly all I can smell is pig...ummmm!!! :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

I used to be HOOKED on those things.

Nowadays, I don't use them at all. Fresh air, or essential oils for us. I use essential oils to clean with, and when I dust my wooden furniture, it's a damp rag with essential oil on it. The oil soaks into the wood :)

I do occasionally light incense, but generally only when I have windows open and kids are at school. My youngest has asthma, and I don't want to trigger it.
It never has, but smokey atmospheres do get to him.
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

I make my own, boil water and let to cool. Place in small spray bottle and add a few drops of essential oil of your choice and you have a air freshener!