Air Fresheners

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

Ummmm Im afraid I use them.

Ive got the ones first commented on, the ones that scare the poo out of you when they suddenly blast a shot of smelly stuff lol

I still have windows open in the bedrooms though, but I hate the smell of dogs, and when its mixed with fresh baby 'doings' it smells pretty horrid, so every 36 mins, I get my puff of nice smellies.
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

The plug in air fresheners are a major fire hazzard.

Often (so i'm told by a fireman) when they investigate a fire all they find is the metal inside an electric socket, and that has caused the fire.

I'm slightly nerotic about fire risk (since a house fire 4 yrs ago) and i keep imforming people of the risks. Spread the word.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I think they're awful and don't get me started on the rubbish adverts. I don't like a smelly house and with a long haired dog and horsey stuff I do wonder about the smell at times. In the summer it's open windows, lavender and flowers from the garden, in the winter I open the window if only for a few minutes and do use incense or oil. You still can't beat the smell of a fresh pot of coffe but I daren't cook the bread 'cos I'd eat it!
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Oh, I didn't realise that they were a fire hazard as well :?
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

My ones are the battery operated ones, not the plug ins )t'
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Yep i have heard the plug in ones are very dangerous.
We keep a can in the bathroom thats it. Like wendy though when we have my in laws parrots we can't use anything at all.
My brother in law and his wife must have a auto one in every room and spray around every 10mins or so, it has been a running joke with me my OH, if you borrow something form them it has a smell too, it gets into everything sile} Ther poor dog :shock:
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

I react really badly to any air freshener and aerosol deoderants. My eyes run, I sneeze ,y throat gets sore and then I begin to feel very unwell and head achey. I too use a spray bottle with water and esssential oils sometimes. Another thing I use in the kitchen and near the dog baskets is small bowls of white vinegar and water, it absorbs smell brilliantly. It works a treat when you are painting or varnishing. Another trick I use is bicarbonarte of soda, in the fridge or as a carpet freshener.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

We have one of those vile automatic things in work too. Actually we have about a dozen all over the building. There is on right opposite the reception desk and it is absolutely nauseating.
The only thing I have at home is febreeze, and that was as a last resort - we bought a suite off a chain smiker sile}
I make my own surface cleaner from a drop of washing up liquid and some lemon juice in a spray bottle of water, and find even that can choke me if I put too much washing up liquid in it.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

I am with mikey - essential oils but slightly different.
We either (in cold weather) but a saucer of water with a few drops of an oil in under the wood burner, or get a light ring,

The ring sits on your light bulb and has a small trench in it you can put some oils in. As the light heats up the oil evaporates making the place smell nice.

Failing that, and to persuade Mrs Malefic that I do have a romantic bone somewhere, the smelly candles go on occasionally as we snuggle up in front of the fire and listen to music, read, chat or watch something on TV.
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

[qPut a saucer of water with a few drops of an oil in under the wood burner,uote]

Malefic thanks for this tip, it works brilliantly )t'

juli. [/quote]
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Just thrown out my fabreeze plug ins... Now that I have stopped smoking, I should not need them anyway. Gosh they were expensive... :shock:
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Don't throw them ML - sell them! They cost £5 each don't they?
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Oh cripes!!Or maybe I should put them on freecycle Effie?
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

That's good, better than chucking all that plastic and copper wire into land-fill.

sorry :oops: , on an ^pl} eco-crusade
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

I shall retreive them from the bin...Thank you Effie (f+