No more cigarettes.

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

I've tried allsorts to stop smoking. Patches, willpower, fake cigarettes!

What worked for me this time? A phrase.....

I am a non smoker. I didn't tell anyone I was quitting. I didn't say to myself I'm going to try to stop (because that suggests to me that if I have to try, I can't do it)
My friend offered me a ciggy, and my answer was......I don't smoke.
She said 'are you sure you don't want one?' my answer was 'why would I? I don't smoke'

I've gone from 20-30 a day, to zero. If I get a craving, I breathe, count to ten, slowly, and tell myself, I don't smoke. It goes away, easily.

Good luck with it :)
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done. We did it 30 odd years ago and it was the best thing we ever did

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Wow, that's really powerfull, Hawthorn, to take control and not let cigarettes control your life. A great idea, well done.

Ilona
(f+
manda

Post by manda »

I don't know what the current smoking cessation programmes are in the UK now.

Can I suggest that it would be worth going to your GP and asking about nicotine patches/gum and support in giving up cigarettes.

Nicotine is the thing you get addicted to but it is not what causes cancer it is all the stuff that is put into the cigarettes that is doing the damage. If you can give up the cigarettes to begin with and keep off them with the nicotine supplements your health will be so much better. If they are subsidised then you could be better off in the process.

I would suggest that if anyone does the patches or gum and is still getting cravings, if using them gives you headaches (you may need a lower dose of patch).... talk to someone about tailoring the use to their needs and using more than one method to fend off the cravings. . There are so many ways of using the nicotine supplements it's just about being creative.

The other thing I would say is if anyone has given up Nicotine and is on medication and haven't told their doc...tell them about it because Nicotine can really mess with the way medications work and it could be that the dose of meds will need changing once the nicotine is out of the system (it can really effect the way the body deals with meds.

If you are on patches or whatever and you try everything and still have a cigarette then ok it's still nothing compared to what you were smoking before. Don't beat yourself up about it looka t how much you had done by not smoking all the time..it's not about loading guilt on yourself it's about finding the way to make it succeed..and that may take a few attempts....and that's ok.

The difficulty is that Nicotine stimulates the brain at such a basic level that it's hard to override the cravings because it the first thought.

Sorry I went on a bit there. I have done the training to help people stop here - got a bit carried away :oops:
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

)hlp> I think I should give up smoking - AGAIN!

Do any of those patches actually work? I only smoke around 3 or 4 a day. A packet of 20 lasts me days but I tend to only buy packs of 10 (or as I call 'em, poverty packs...)

I'm just fed up with the stink of things and that it's getting so expensive.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
manda

Post by manda »

Yes the patches work but it depends how addicted you are to nicotine (when you have your first cigarette after you get up is a good indicator) as to what strength you need.

Like I said in the post before yours, the patches come in various strengths and you can use more than one patch if one is not enough or use patches and gum so you can chew gum if you get the occasionally cravings. It might be the gum would be enough for you if you don't have many cigarettes or our not very dependent on the nicotine.

My hubby has given up (he is the first person I worked with :-D )and has patches and gum. He tried to give up last year (before I had done the course) and he really went through it...bl**dy awful for all concerned! This time has been completely different, yes he still gets those cravings but he sticks a bit of gum in to top up the patch and it takes the edge off. He's also found it good to keep occupied or do something to distract himself......got loads of jobs done around our place !!

The trouble is it is a hard thing to do - hey if it was that easy we'd just give everyone a patch and some gum and that would be it BUT it's still always worth trying (no matter how many times) because there's always the chance that it will be the time when you succeed. Don't beat yourself up if you start again look at the positive and that is you were able to for a while so next time you can look at where the weak points were and plan for them...even if poeple try multiple times it still means they can learn more and more about the weak points so it's never a waste of time.
Save the money you would have spent and decide what you want to buy with it then make that a goal too (hubby wants a new rifle so guess what....)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I have now been 4 days without a cigarette 8)

I have turned hyperactive and seem to be needing to do all my stuff at about 100 miles an hour! Feel a bit jittery, but am taking l-theanine to try and chill me out and cope with the cravings.

My big test will be at work tomorrow. A lot of them smoke and they'll be expecting me to pop out into the garden with them during the breaktimes.
wendy

Post by wendy »

i used to say to people that I had just had one. When they asked Wendy

Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

It was a short phrase that stopped me smoking twenty years ago:
"You have coronary heart disease!" :shock:
10 a day now... tablets!!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

This is a snippet from my book about my time in the British Army.

BEST THING I EVER DID

At a party on New Years Eve, Jan asked what my resolution was for 1976. I told her that I would give up smoking. She laughed at this, because at the time I was smoking eighty Capstan Full Strength a day.

I was determined to give up and so I did, and I’m pleased to say that I have never smoked from that day to this.
wendy

Post by wendy »

That is the answer Silky... Determination....When you gave up in 1976, like me in 1973. That was all we had, no patches or other things to help us out was there ?
Wendy

silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Yes, determination is the answer, though I must admit for a few weeks I was up tight due to the nicotine withdrawal and I would shout at the lads for the littlest of things. So much so that the Commanding Officer had me in the office for a talk. When he found out I was giving up smoking he backed me all the way.

Due to the amount of nicotine I’d been taking in it took me about 8 weeks to get back to normal.

The trouble is my wife still smokes and I can’t get her to give them up, even though her sister has just died through a smoking related illness.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I didn't smoke at work and it's been over a week now since I quit )t'

I'm beginning to feel a bit better too.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

)c( )c( )c(

Hope you are getting the support/understanding you need at work.

)t' Keep it up :-D
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Julia
Longlasting Laner

Post by Julia »

Well done Echelon.

I gave up 4 years ago and although I hated it at first I now think it's the best thing I ever did.

You're over the most painful bit now so remember, if you have a ciggie you will have to go through all that pain again. From now on you've just got to keep your witts about you and beware the Devil on your shoulder telling you you've done well and a ciggie would be a good reward.
Free hens are happy hens. Chicken centreparcs now complete! The girls love it.