Very bad back pain

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Very bad back pain

Post by Babycakes »

I've been having an "episode" since the second week of January - so far manageable with low-dose co-codamol and excercise.
However it started to get worse on friday, I managed half of saturday (being stubborn because I had to do a 100+ mile round trip to get the geckos) but had to give up. By sunday morning I was completely immobile and needed to be lifted from my chair and crutches just to get to the bathroom (thank god we have a downstairs loo!!) The emergency GP came and gave me diazepam plus much MUCH stronger co-codamol.
So here I am on wednesday night, still in agony. Aparently it is something to do with a disc at the bottom of my spine which is bulging out towards my posterior. And it may have trapped a nerve leading into my left hip/thigh, because they hurt like all hell now too.
I'm sorry for being a whinge but it's getting me so far down and thats not like me at all. I cant lift Grace, cant change her nappy or get her dressed in the mornings. I cant stand for long enough to hoover or do the dishes or cook or anything else constructive. I can just about manage to get myself dressed, which is an improvement on sunday when OH had to put my pyjama bottoms and slippers on because I couldnt reach. I am so frustrated and so sore and just feel so )cn( useless. A nd between the pain and the diazepam I feel drained all the time too so I'm not even much company, and I feel so guilty that OH is working 10 hours a day then coming home to all the housework.
Sorry for being such a misery guts, I just needed to get that all off my chest. Think I'll put a weepie movie on so I have an excuse to have a good cry and get it all out
)gr:
It's days like this I wish I was still a smoker.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh Sarah, that sounds like hell :!: Its horrible not being able to do normal things, we take these for granted and then wham - back goes and cannot do them. But you need to rest, you will make it worse, your OH will be much better off in the long term if you don't cause any more damage to your back now.....
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear babycakes, I do empathise. Back pain is just awful isn't it? I missed half my holiday in Greece last year when I herniated a disc putting my knickers on! :oops:

Seriously though, I know how really awful it is when you just can't move and really you can only take painkillers and wait.

Hope you feel better very soon. (f+

PS Smoking wouldn't help at all!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

Do you know a local osteopath who knows his stuff? Cause if you do, it could be sorted fairly quickly. I'm an osteopath and see people in a similar condition almost every day. It's relatively easy to sort out in 95% of cases.

If you don't, may I suggest that you make yourself as comfortable as possible and put a bit of ice on your lower back (if it is indeed a disc problem).
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Poor you, Babycakes.

It must be very bad for them to prescribe Diazepam.I know they don't do that lightly.

I know it's awful now but just remember it WILL get better and the pain will go and you will be able to look after Grace as you always have although you may not feel that way at the mo.

Take it easy, try to rest and sleep as much as you can.You can whinge at us as much as you like (f+
Jackie xx
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I can really sympathise - there's nothing worse than a bad back.

When my eldest was 18months I had a bulging lower disc. I had three weeks of hardly moving plus large doses of painkillers before starting physiotherapy. The physio REALLY helped, even after the first session. She also gave me a list of exercises to do (5 mins per day in bed before getting up). 11 years on when my back starts getting sore I do the exercises for a couple of days and it's a right as rain again. Of course, if I followed her advice and did the exercises every day it wouldn't get sore in the first place :oops:

Hope it gets better soon

Lucy x
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I went to physio a couple of weeks ago and was given loads of excercises, but the problem is at the moment I am in too much pain to do the excercises that would make my back better....
This problem all started for me 14 years ago, funnily enough when I was in Greece too! I stood up from a dressing table where I'd been drying my hair and BANG!! Instant agony!
Forgot to say I've been referred for an MRI scan, the witing list is approx 6-8 weeks, so at least things should progress from there.
I will look into an osteopath, I think someone at work might have mentioned one recently so I'll ask around
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Oh Sarah, how you have been in the wars this weekend. I`ve had something similar in the past, and yes, you have every right to feel terrible and cry at the drop of a hat.

I saw an osteopath, and found it did wonders for me. Touch wood, never needed one again, but I have given up care work as years of heavy lifting etc day in, day out, did the damage to me.

Look after yourself, and keep warm. Give Grace a cuddle and try not to worry. The housework can always wait, you need to get better first.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Sorry to hear about your back Babycakes!

Mr stace has exactly the same, his comes and goes, but the past weeks he has been crawling out of bed!

He is awaiting an Op Its called an X Stop, he has suffered for many years with the pain and numbness in his legs, he told them he had had enough and now is booked in hopefully getting it done in april!

Please just dont carry on suffering, if you have a disc laying on top of the other this will then compress the nerve which then causes Sciatica , this will pass as its prob a flareup, but dont give up as you need to push for everything, make sure you tell them as they will usually only offer physio, which is ok but is not a lasting option!

Get well soon

Stace
Last edited by stace on 11 Mar 2009, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh dear. nothing worse than back pain.Probably rest is best at the moment. But once you are getting better find a pilates class. They do absolute wonders.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Nothing more to add than the others but add my sympathies. Please whinge here any time, you have good reason.
wolfe
Lively Laner

Post by wolfe »

Sorry Babycakes, i thought you were just useing the bad back to get time off work, ( to see your lemur ). A thousant apologises and enjoy the diazepam and let nature take it's course ~eep~
Life is too short for hate, love life and the earth we live on.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

LoL thankyou.
The muscle relaxant that I can neither pronounce nor spell seems to be doing the trick - seem to be on the mend - yay!!!!!! )c(
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

That's good news )t'
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Doing better today, have not taken any diazepam, just the others, seem to be coping ok. Should be back at work end of next week as planned :-D