Very bad back pain

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Take it easy!!

Just 'cause you are feeling better don't rush around doing things.

A little and often.

Great news that you are feeling better (f+ (f+ (f+
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
leckyman
Lively Laner

Post by leckyman »

Hi Babycakes I realy feel for you I am just coming out the other side of a prolapsed disc !!!

I have just this morning been the hospital for a cortizone injection in my lower back, fells like somebody has been using my back as a puchbag :!:

But all in all I feel much better, this after 6 months of absolute agony.

Anyway back to you !!! What I'm trying to say is there is a light at the end of the tunnel just do enough for your back to hurt a bit then rest. Keep doing that and you will be back to normal quite quickly, it worked wonders for me.

Bigmeanuglyogre gave me lots of advice to ease my pain so listen to what he has to say :-D
P.S. thanks again bigmean )t'

Hope this helps
Dave & Anne
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thanks very much for all the support and advice guys.
Am off the diazepam and have cut the co-codamol right down. As soon as I get back to work I'll be seeing the fitness instructor about doing some pilates and stuff that should help.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

Low impact moderate exercise is indeed the best way of preventing exercise. The more frequent the better.

And hey. I didn't do anything Leckeyman. I just passed along some advice. Glad you're getting better.
)t'
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Take it easy Babycakes hope you back to your old self soon!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

BMUO, I was doing low impact before this "episode" - recumbant cycle, cross trainer, walking (but no running) on treadmill and it was definately helping - then I dont know what happened, it just got sore on the friday, worse on the saturday and I need ed crutches to get to the loo on the sunday )de:
And I was doing really well at the gym too.hoping to go back to something like this plus pilates some time in the next week or two - sound reasonable??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

The big question is how long had you been doing the 'low impact' stuff? A body needs to ease its way into exercise bit by bit otherwise they will introduce a fair amount of strain to an unprepared body. If the body has any weaknesses when that strain is introduced, you're going to have that pain rear its ugly and unpleasant head.

Now, I don't know your diagnosis (i.e. what's wrong with you) but staying active and upright is almost always good advice.
--Swimming is the exercise of first choice for starting up a exercise program. It reduces the amount of strain that can be placed on your back because the water supports you while still providing resistance.
--This would be followed by going for 30-60 minute 'rambles' around the countryside a couple times a week. Nothing too serious. Just being relaxed while moving.
--In the gym I would spend a good bit of time working your tummy muscles. There's a lot of contrasting opinions but for the layperson, it really does strengthen your back muscles when you strengthen your tummy muscles.
--I'd put the pilates off for 3 weeks. It can be a little intensive and you don't want to relapse.

My only current bits of advice are that you need to sit in hard chairs for a while. Sofas are very rarely good for your back. Most make you slouch. Also, if your bed is too soft, you might want to consider putting a bit of plywood underneath to 'firm' it up.

Most back problems happen because of how we live not how we're exercising.
mrs butzi
Lively Laner

Post by mrs butzi »

GET THEE TO A GOOD CHARTERED PHYSIO - I must express a vested interest as I' a private physio !!

However, a good physio is worth their weight in gold ( or pain ! )

Good luck with it and you're doing the right thing by not ' taking to your bed ' (f+