MRI scan

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

MRI scan

Post by Babycakes »

I got my letter today for my MRI scan to see what went so wrong with my back. I go on 6th May. I'm a bit scared, isnt that when you go into the big tube thing?? I dont like the look of that, I'm a bit claustraphobic. Has anyone else had one??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Modern scanners are light and airy. Nothing to worry about.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wendy

Post by wendy »

I am terribly claustraphobic. Can't even lock toilet doors, never use a lift etc. etc. I had to have an MRI brain scan [to see if I had one I think] last year. I went to the doctor and she gave me a couple of diazamine, I think that is what they are called. They at least relaxed me enough to go through it.
But it was not an experience I want to repeat, but for your health's sake it must be done.
If I can do it BC, anyone can.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
madmum
Legendary Laner

Dont worry!!

Post by madmum »

Dont worry not as scary as they seem over and done with quite quickly :razz: (hardest part for me was keeping quiet,and still :oops: :oops: :oops:)
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Mr stace is off for his MRI on sunday he has his back OP on the 15th april!

All will be fine Babycakes he has had a few this year only takes a while and they play you music )t'

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had two a few years ago - I found it best to close your eyes before you go in - and then start thinking of something lovely! But don't worry, you have a button to press if you need anything and they talk to you.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thanks all. I think I'll make myself a cd, keep my eyes closed and do some of the breathing excercises I learned all those years ago studying drama. I knew they would come in useful some day lol
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I found it very easy when I had one last year, in fact I came out smiling because I thought it was funny. They put headphones on you to muffle the noise, play music, as mentioned you can take your own CD. The music doesn't drown out the noise altogether, but it's not unpleasant. Everything is explained to you first.

Close your eyes as you are being pushed into the tube, take deep breaths, relax. I let my mind think about nice things that I was going to do, things I looked forward to, treats etc. If you can take your mind off somewhere else you won't notice where you are, keep your eyes shut throughout.

The noises reminded me of the intro beat at the start of a record, different pitches and tones. Each set of beats lasted a minute or so, then changed. I found myself trying to put lyrics to them and had to stop myself from singing. The noises have a constant pattern, I think the picture is being taken as the noise happens so I found myself holding my breath at that time. You don't have to do this because they gauge your breathing anyway, I just recognised the pattern and tried to make it easy for them. Probably didn't need to. Just take long slow normal breaths and keep still.

You'll sail through it.

Ilona
)t'
cluckyclaire
Longlasting Laner

Post by cluckyclaire »

I have to say you have had a lot of very good advice there BC. I actually work as a Radiographer doing MRI scans at my local hospital so i see people like you everyday who are scared and worried. Try to relax and think about something else while in the scanner. Some people find the eye covers that you get given on airplanes are good if you want to go down that route. if you want so diazapan to help calm your nerves just go and see your GP and explain the situation and they should be able to give you some to take with you on the day and will tell you when the best time is to take it. Def make you own CD to take with you - we only have a limited supply of music and more often than not it is not to the patients tastes!!!

Also make sure you tell the radiographers before you start if you are worried and they will make sure that you are happy to stay in the machine once they have you in position befoer they leave the room and they will keep a close eye on you. If you ask they can also talk to you periodically throughout the scan and let you know how long there is left to go etc. The scan should take about 20-30mins.

Hope that helps and that it all goes well. I'm sure it will.

Claire
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

oooh diazepam, I have some of those from when my back went wonky a couple of weeks ago )t'
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I have had a number of mri scans due to my back problem.
The last time the radiographer had to wake me up before he could get me out of the tunnel. I have quit broad shoulders and they were against the sides of the scanner with me falling asleep.
If you havn't had one before the worst part in my opinion is the noise.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

As people have mentioned there is the noise, cds/ radio help. it is a confined space but you can get out you have a bell.

For me the problem was lying flat on my back still for 20-30 minutes, make sure you are comfy before it starts, they have wedges you can use to go under knee etc, you know how to get some relief...... you have been living with this so you know how!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Wendy's right, they are pretty high tech now, I had one a couple of years back, they just roll backwards and back again.
Back probs are horrible. I have a fusion of the L5 and it plays up now and again, you get the pain round the buttocks and hips more than the back, bit like sciatica.

Fear not babycakes. At least it's getting sorted, so that's something to be positive about.

Chin up )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Babycakes, about 10% of people are unable to tolerate an MRI scan due to being claustrophobic. If you think that you're going to be affected then you can arrange to have sedation - either oral diazepam, or something stronger. There is a knocking noise inside whilst the scan is taking place and you have a buzzer that you can press if you don't feel comfortable.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Some good advice here ... A work mate of mine goes regularly and recomends the eye mask

Mr Roomand Kitchen had to go a few weeks ago but it was a moble one in a big truck and he said it was quite noisy and the didn't play music-they did give him ear defenders though!!

Did you get a leaflet explaining it all with your appointment ?