Learning Guitar

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Learning Guitar

Post by Trev62 »

Mo wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 09:05 And the audience seemed to enjoy it.
Sounds like a success then, well done )t'

What is next for you?
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

2 weeks off then we'll get our music for the midsummer concert - various short works, not sure what.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

As there is no music to practise for choir until we start again after Easter I actually took my accordion out of its case and played for half an hour last night.
Dangerous.
I pulled a thread from my jumper and somehow got it very twisted round a little screwhead. Couldn't take off the accordion, tried to take the jumper off , ended up cutting the thread.
Usually the accordion comes out at a friends house once a week, and I always say "must practise that bit"
I was trying to play harmonies and countermelodies with left hand, but it's a Stradella bass so it takes a lot of thinking about - which button is C sharp ?? And while I'm working it out my fingers have lost their place and I'm back feeling for the dimple.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Mo wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 13:50 but it's a Stradella base so it takes a lot of thinking about
Mo, I am impressed, just looked up what a Stradella base is, an impressive instrument that would be well beyond my skills to even attempt to play. I have problems with six strings and a few frets but you are playing a keyboard and a host of buttons at the same time.

Have you been playing long? I am presuming you have to be able to master the instrument.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I bought it because it had a keyboard so I thought it would be like the piano, which I learnt as a child. But the left hand needs the brain to think in 5ths (CGDA etc), and chords, which I don't find easy as I've never played guitar and my piano teacher was strictly classical, bass clef not chords for the left hand.
I wouldn't say I'd mastered it at all. Most of the time my left hand just works the bellows. If i try to play buttons I lose the R hand keys.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Mo wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 14:19 Most of the time my left hand just works the bellows. If i try to play buttons I lose the R hand keys.
That I can associate with, I am still trying to master moving and using two hands at the same time. One up and down the guitar neck hoping to hit the right strings whilst the other fingerpicks at the other end of the guitar, getting better but the phrase "hit one miss one" often still applies :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Trev62 wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 20:04 "hit one miss one"
Yes
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

So, Lesson 10 completed though I need to find some finger speed, happy at @ 60/70 bpm but things go a bit haywire when up to @ 120/130 bpm but practice, practice, practice and I will get there eventually.

Biggest issue at present is with the warm weather and light evenings we are working later so it is gone 10 at night before sitting down and getting some practice in. This obviously means less time to learn, still 15/20 minutes is better than none at all.

So, I shall plod on.....
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How dedicated. I'm surprised you have the energy and concentration at that time.
Just as I got Monteverdi hammered into my head I've got to stop singing it over the kitchen sink and try to learn this and this and more.
I can happily noodle variations on Go Down Moses - just not the ones Tippet wrote.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Trev62 wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 20:40 Biggest issue at present is with the warm weather and light evenings we are working later so it is gone 10 at night before sitting down and getting some practice in. This obviously means less time to learn, still 15/20 minutes is better than none at all.
have you considered early morning instead of evening, or would that be too much for the OH? I was able to fit about an hour's practice on the electronic piano (luckily I had earphones so didn't disturb my neighbours) before going to work.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

lancashire lass wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 11:04
Trev62 wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 20:40 Biggest issue at present is with the warm weather and light evenings we are working later so it is gone 10 at night before sitting down and getting some practice in. This obviously means less time to learn, still 15/20 minutes is better than none at all.
have you considered early morning instead of evening, or would that be too much for the OH? I was able to fit about an hour's practice on the electronic piano (luckily I had earphones so didn't disturb my neighbours) before going to work.
Our day starts @ 6.30 am with checking then letting out and feeding all the animals before milking the goats, then it is dog walking time followed by goat walking time, breakfast before cleaning/mucking out/disinfecting (deep cleaning) the next pen on the roster, filling all the water storage containers from the well, medical/health checks on the animals that need attention (currently hoof trimming the goats) and a field/garden walk to see what needs doing. Then it is housework time before a well deserved cuppa to sort out our priority jobs for the day then up and out to start on them. Often it is midday before we reach this point especially over these next few months when we have all the birds hatching outside and in, raising the broilers (all free ranged during daylight hours), rabbits breeding (all are put out on grass every day, 28 youngsters at present), constant supervision of the lambs and goats who will take to escaping given any opportunity (thankfully the dog does her job keeping them in their area)

So as much as I would love to get some free time in the mornings to spend on the guitar (as for the first time ever I feel I am getting somewhere learning it), it unfortunately is just not going to happen. No complaints, we opted to live this lifestyle and I admire any else attempting to do the same/similar thing especially the old Baba's out here who still keep going in the 70's/80's, I doubt I could manage it.

Now I have totally forgotten what the point was behind all the above but I will just put that down to having one of my many senile moments :-D
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Mo wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 22:53 How dedicated. I'm surprised you have the energy and concentration at that time.
Just as I got Monteverdi hammered into my head I've got to stop singing it over the kitchen sink and try to learn this and this and more.
I can happily noodle variations on Go Down Moses - just not the ones Tippet wrote.
It is the first time I feel I am getting somewhere, if I stop, I end up back at the beginning and I am determined not to let that happen so, 5,10,15 minutes just to tick over and improve or just tread water keeps the momentum going.

I especially enjoyed the third part of the Nocturnes - Sure on this Shining Night, I have never heard any of this before. Good luck learning both of these, it has to be satisfying being able to perform music like this.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done for persisting. I am always amazed at how much you get through in a day.

I think Sure on this Shining Night is the best known of those, and one of those we are starting on (sight reading last week, more detail tonight).