can i make a quilt?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
sleepy
Lively Laner

can i make a quilt?

Post by sleepy »

i have just found out that i am going to be a nan, YIPPPPEEEEEEEE,
ive decided i would love to make a cot quilt for my 1st grandchild, problem is im not very practical or good at things like this, can i do it? does anyone have any really simple patterns or ideas, either sewing or knitting, cant crochet to save me life , so thats out, or is there a cheats way of doing this, i have a very old temperamental sewing machine, so if pos id like to do it by hand, any help greatfully recieved.
Marie
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: can i make a quilt?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hi Sleepy,
That's a lovely idea. I have made quilts for all my family and have been hooked on patchwork and quilting for about 5 years.
There is an easy way if you don't want to attempt patchwork, most good sewing shops have cot quilt panels and the well known auction site E**y has a good selection, just search for "cot quit panel".
I'll have a look through my numerous patchwork magazines tomorrow and see if I can find some simple patterns for you.
I had a thread going about a couple of my quilts that I finished in the last fews weeks that I will update in a minute as we have got the final amount raised during our quilt show.
Alison
Ali Woks My World
sleepy
Lively Laner

Post by sleepy »

that would be great, thank you Alison :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

They look lovely Alison.
Do you sew around the figures and then fill. Or are they already filled ?
Do you need a sewing machine ?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Morning Wendy,
Alison will get back to you later. It's the morning of the local chicken auction and we are getting ready to attend and maybe get a couple of new hens so we are busy beasting the kids to get ready.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo new hens how eggciting.
Good luck.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Hi Wendy,
Most of my quilts are sewn together on the machine, the boats are made up of lots of triangles sewn together and then longer triangles sewn around the sides to make a square and then all the squares sewn together and borders sewn on to make the quilt top. My husband describes it as cutting up perfectly good bits of material and putting them back together again!

The quilt top, the wadding ( comes on a roll and is a bit like a blanket, can be cotton,polyester,wool,silk etc) and backing are all tacked or pinned together and then the quilting (either by machine or hand) holds them all together, when the quilting has been done the binding is sewn around the edge to finish it.

On the boat quilt, I quilted around each boat, in the diamonds between the boats and quilted the border with a diamond pattern, I normally make the quilting design up as I go along, forward planning is not my strong point, I'm better at going with the flow!
My daughters are going to stay with their Grandma next week so I will have some time to spend sewing, if I can drag myself away from my new chooks that is :-D
Ali
Ali Woks My World