Whats your favourite crafty thing to make as gifts?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Whats your favourite crafty thing to make as gifts?

Post by madmum »

Hi Jen ,what about wine bottle jackets?They would be really easy to make and could be personalised to suit the recipient.I love hand sewing so i make loads of scented hearts ,birds ,fish etc and attach "vintage"buttons and ribbons for a more "finished" look.
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

p.penn wrote:

BTW - is that what they call a 'pillar box' hat?

you have misspelt it

is that what they call a pillox's hat )t'
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

H ahah! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The doorstop idea reminds my of things I helped my children to make.
Door snakes / draught excluders. The easy method I made for myself from an old coat with holes in at the elbows. Just rolled it up and stitched it to make a cylinder. For presents we did something similar with an old dress, made a dragon using the contrasting collar as a crest or wings or something.
We also made peg bags. A rectangle of material as wide as the smallest coat-hanger you've got, and twice as long as the depth of the bag you want. Fold it right-side-in, and seam it to make a tube, but don't sew all the way, sew a quarter, then leave a half (for your hand to take the pegs out), then sew the last bit. Then roll the tube so that the seam is about a third of the way down, iron it to open out the seam, hem the hand-hole bit and sew the side seams. Make a small hole at top for coat hanger hook, and hem it.
Turn it in the right way. Thread the hanger in.
Arty-crafty types can do fancy embroidery or applique.
It hangs up by the door, then slides along the line as you hang out the clothes (if anyone does such a frugal old-fashioned thing now.)

Can make a bigger version for dirty laundry.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

I make cushions for presents and doorstops too )t' If you click on my blog link below I posted a photo of my latest door stops I made last week. )t' Cushions are usually patchwork or crocheted. The tissue cases I make on my embroidery machine have proved popular too.