Lively Laner

I make Dolls

Post by WendyM »

In my spare time I make dolls.

Here is my website

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyhousenurseries/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh Wendy they are lovely. How clever are you !
I have just bought one from the States.
Wendy
Last edited by wendy on 14 Jan 2008, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

Thanks very much Wendy. I do enjoy making these, this is my girlie thing to do in a household of boys.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

wow they are amazing!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't understand. The website seems to say that you buy the dolls but you 'make' them.
What are they like when you get them, and what do you do to them? Do you make the clothes?
I'm probably being thick here.

It must be nice to be creative. I used to embroider tablecloths and tea-trays to give as Christmas presents, they may have had a certain childish charm, but more likely were just plain scruffy, knowing me.
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

Well I don't really make the shell of the doll. What I do is I buy a playdoll and strip it down of all its paint from the factory and take out the eyes (oh dear sounds gorey). I then paint it with heat set paints using many different layers to make it look as real as possible and then hand root in dyed angora mohair one hair at a time with a rooting needle/felting needle then add some nice realistic looking eyes, eyelashes. Put it together with a nice new cotton body which is weighted to feel heavy like a baby, find a sweet outfit and hay presto you have a reborn. I also buy kits which include a head and limbs.

Its a bit more in depth than that and takes me around 3 weeks to do one if I work every evening for a couple of hours. I really enjoy making these and find my fingers start twitching if I haven't sat down with one for a couple of weeks. I sell them on ebay mostly. If you are wondering what the kits look like, look under reborn kit on ebay and this will show you what I start with. :razz:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Wendy,
Mine is finished and has been posted to my friend in the States and Spencer will pick it up when he goes there February 6th.
Can't wait.
It is remarkable Mo what these people do with these dolls.
Wendy

WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

Oh how exciting! Who did you buy it off, I wonder if I know them? Post a photo when you get it. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

I will PM you
Wendy

mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi Wendy M

Your dolls are amazing, i will look on ebay, my daughter who is ten loves them, although they are probably not a toy, she would like one, will check them out. I know they are expensive. What a lovely hobbie. Could have looked at the website all day, beautiful outfits.

I saw the programme on channel 4, some of the ladies on there i did feel for them, as they hadn't had children, i can't imagine what that must be like, as have two although they drive me nuts 10 and 14 and don't want to do anything my and my hubby want to do. No more park and feeding ducks, i miss that. All you get is a load of cheek, wouldn't be without them. I have a friend who hasn't had kids, it doesn't faise her, she said she never had the oppurtunity, or it wasn't the right time, actually she couldn't pick a baby up she is really thin, and has a lot of back ache bless her.

Anyway brilliant going to look on ebay,
Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
wendy

Post by wendy »

Be careful.
They become collectable. I now have three LOL
Wendy

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi WendyM,
Your dolls are beautiful and perfect in every way, and your web site is great. You must have a lot of patience to do such intricate work, your passion certainly comes out in your writings. I can see why people would enjoy collecting them.

Mellonia, I too saw the programme a few months back when I still had a tele. I found it all a bit strange, especially the lady who wheeled her baby around in a pram, and spent thousands of pounds on new outfits for it. I felt a bit sad for them.

Ilona 8)
wendy

Post by wendy »

NO mine do not go out in prams along the street.
That would be a bit too spooky for me.
But I love knitting them clothes and dressing them.
These are real big girls toys.
The men have their remote control cars etc. and this is mine.
Wendy

mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi Ilona

I to thought it was a bit weird, but still love the dolls maybe one to sit on my bed.

How are you finding it without your telly, i couldn't be without my telly, but then i am tied to the house, with my kids, i can't just pop out and see friends, like today would like to have a walk but my daughter doesn't want to and i don't want to turn it into a big argument. So enjoying being on down the lane.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

I saw that programme too. I spoke to the producer of that programme when they were looking for some story lines. They didn't want me as I was too normal, didn't have a juicy story line. LOL Some collectors do see these as replacement children, but only a few. Most collectors just like looking at pretty things. I have a few here that I have made and kept. To me its like looking at a sweet picture but 4D. I have 3 sons so you could say its my excuses to go out shopping for cute girlie outfits too. I am on a break at the moment from reborning as life was getting too hectic and something had to give. But I do love this art, I find it very therapeutic when I am sitting there painting the sculpt and then putting in the hair. My favorite part of it all is putting the doll together once its done and getting it dressed for the first time.

If you ever want to see them in person there is a doll fair in June in Peterborough with loads of sellers. I have had a stall for the last two shows, but won't be there selling this time.

(f+