Machine quilting - patchwork type question

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Machine quilting - patchwork type question

Post by Lilo-Lil »

I know some of you ladies on here are keen patchworkers and quilters.

I`m looking to get a rotary cutter, mat and ruler. Is there any better make or size to get as beginner? I was looking at getting a 45 mm cutter, medium self-healing mat and a 6" x 24" ruler. Is this the best combo for a novice?

Do I need a double sided mat? Or will a single side one do?

There is a shop in Birmingham which I`m going to have a trip to soon, but didnt want to sound like a numpty in there!

Only going to be doing smaller blocks and projects, not the whole kingsize quilt thing yet!

Thanks!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Machine quilting - patchwork type question

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Lil,
Ali is a quiltist. She is busy in her quilting room, quilting as we speak. When she comes down for lunch I'm sure she will offer her bestest advice. I know she has all the things you have mentioned in many different sizes, shapes and colours but I wouldn't presume to know what most of them are for.
Dom
PS I take it you have heard of the enormous quilt show at the NEC in August. Ali goes every year. This year she is abandoning me for four days to attend. {cry}
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I like my Olfa rotary cutter - I had a cheaper one before, but it was rubbish.
As far as mats go, I would suggest the biggest one you can afford/fit on your normal working surface. I can't remember what make my ruler is, but it has luminous markings on either side of all the lines, which makes them stand out really well on most fabrics.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Thanks for the replies.

LBF - I thought as much. I dont envisage using it everyday, but the kids at work might benefit from using it for exam work, so will prob get the ones you mentioned. Hadnt thought about luminous markings, but it makes such good sense!

Dom - I am very tempted to go the NEC, but having the kitchen re-modelled and new heating and off-street parking in August, so I was erring on the side of caution money-wise and not going. I may go with just cash and no cards, which will take temptation out of my way!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Lil,
She's still up there quilting. Only comes down to graze and drink.
Oh the life of a quilting widower {cry}
Dom
PS her most used self healing mat is about 2 foot x 3 foot her ruler is transparent and about 8 inches x 24 inches. She does have an Olfa rotary cutter but reckons the Gingher ones are best, as are their scissors. I know the scissors are bl**dy sharp 'cos I dropped a pair of the small pionty ones and they went right through my shoe and into my foot.
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Aha - just spotted the quilt in your profile pic! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog

I tried some Ginger scissors a while ago, and I'm hoping they might find their way into my Christmas stocking )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

They certainly made their way into my stocking, via my shoe. Oceans of blood there was. I still bare the scars today {cry}
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I salute your bravery Dom. )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Hi Lil,

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer your post although I see Dom has tried!

I'm burning the midnight oil at the moment as we have our charity quilt show this coming weekend and I've only just got my posh sewing machine back from being repaired.

I agree with lbf, Olfa cutters are good, 45mm is a good all round size, I have the type that have a trigger squeeze handle which means that when you put it down the blade is automatically covered, a good safety point.

As for cutting mats, the one I use most is a 36" x 24", double sided, this allows the full width of the fabric to be cut in both directions. If you can't stretch to one that size I would say at least 24" x 18". My double sided one has seen an awful lot of use over the last 7 years and is still going strong and for the difference in price I think the double sided ones are better value.

With rulers you are likely to need more than one ideally, I prefer the 8" x 24" to a 6" x 24" as it keeps your hand a bit further away from the rotary cutter. The big ruler is quite unwieldy though for cutting small pieces and for that I use a 6" x 12" and finally a 12" square for squaring blocks up. The majority of my rulers are Omnigrip, which have a slightly textured back to the markings so that they don't slip as easily on the fabric whilst cutting.

If it's The Cotton Patch you're going to, you should find them really helpful, I've purchased a lot from them over the years.

Happy Quilting and any more questions just give me a shout.

Ali
Ali Woks My World
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Thanks for that Ali, I know you are busy at the mo! Good luck with the charity show, you always do so well.

Will have to wait until at least pay-day for any purchases! And yes, it is that shop I thought of going to. Nothing like seeing things in the flesh, so to speak.

I`m trying to combine it with a trip to Brum on "business" to justify it as I could always say I was just passing!
LittleBrownFrog

Omnigrip ... my rulers are omnigrip too - couldn't think of the name yesterday )t'