Knitting for charity?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Knitting for charity?

Post by rhubarb93 »

Does anyone know of any charities that want people to knit for them?
When I was a kid we used to knit squares to make blankets for 3rd world kids - don't know if that is still happening, but I have a bit of spare time at the moment (until the allotment gets going), and lots of leftover bits of wool hanging about. Would be good to do something useful with them.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: Knitting for charity?

Post by ChrisG »

Hospitals with premature baby units like tiny cardigans and hats for prem babies. You could rings your local hospital and see what they do - there is often a local charity that raises funds for them and does knitting.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I remember the blanket squares. I didn't do that though, I knitted stripey vests for babies in missionaries hospitals. I had an hour journey to school each morning and half of that was sitting on the tube, so I got a few rows done (unless it was standing room only).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

How about Knitting tea cosys? I know it sounds silly but they are becoming very popular again. I have been looking at buying one on ebay and they are fetching over £5. I would certainly buy one if I knew the money was going to charity... :)
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

RuthG wrote:Hospitals with premature baby units like tiny cardigans and hats for prem babies. You could rings your local hospital and see what they do - there is often a local charity that raises funds for them and does knitting.

My mum knits cardigans and hats for our local special care unit (as a thank you for taking such excellent care of our youngest when she was born very prem). They're always on the look out for more, I'm sure your local hospital would be too.
She finds patterns online that are either in the first baby size or she uses doll patterns or the tiny ones.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I knit jumpers for the Pegasus Childrens Trust. The director lives in the UK, but regularly visits South Africa, taking clothes and articles for the kids.

My garments are all jumpers, a lot of them knitted in stripes, so small amounts of wool can be used - but the sewing in of ends! I get a lot of wool given now that the word has gone out about my jumpers.

The children who wear them are street kids, and I am told that the nights get very cold. At present I have a lovely Christmas card still on my mantlepiece, with photos of the kids, and their best wishes, so rewarding.

If anyone is interested, please pm me for details.

Judy Westwater, the director was herself a street kid for a time. I came across her first book in our local library, interested by her surname, which is in my family tree, and thinking that we might have a connection, I contacted her. The knitting started from there.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I was thinking of this thread as i read about this website today, not sure if it want you wanted but worth a look.

http://www.knittingforcharity.org/
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks, Folks. I Goggled around a bit and found Kascare website, they send blanket squares and also jumpers and hats to Aids orphans in S Africa too. Nice simple little patterns - I've already done my first little jumper - very cute - and will do a matching hat. Hard to believe it is cold in winter and at night in SA!
Thanks for the info on Pegasus, Spreckly. Sounds like a good idea if they can take them from the UK. With Kascare I'd have to post them to Soweto myself.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Rhubarb - Have a look at this too HUMANITY AT HEART.

They are a small local charity who support the needy in Romania, and used to (don't know if they still do) take stuff over there several times a year. They also have a charity shop where they raise funds and as they are not a huge charity, I am sure anything knitted would be appreciated. Perhaps you could contactthem and find out?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Rhubarb. I post my jumpers for street kids in South Africa to the lady who is the director of Pegasus Childrens Trust. She goes out several times a year, to hold workshops for the kids. So it is just parcel rate to the UK.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks, Helen - will keep them in mind too.
Spreckly - have pm'd you. Is the address you post to on their website? Had a look but couldn't see anywhere to send donations.
Have now posted on Streetbank to see if anyone local is interested in starting up a knitting circle or taking this into local schools. It's a good feeling to get involved in something worthwhile like this.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello rhubarb, just seen your last post. I haven't received a PM from you. The address I send to for Pegasus Childrens Trust is:

118a Bruce Gardens, Inverness, IV3 5BE.

The address used to be a Box number, but the above is the one I now use.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Battersea Dogs and Cats home always want blankets and jumpers.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I knit and crochet for http://lovinghands.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have made many good friends through the forum, we sometimes meet up in 'real life' too! The lady that runs the charity is a saint, she has awful health issues yet does so much for others. Basically anything you want to make she will find a home for and 4 times a year she sets us challenges that you can join in or not if you don't want to. A lot of the girls say it gives them a real sense of purpose. The items we make go to lots of UK charities including the Battersea appeal, and overseas too like Teddies for Tragedy.