Frugal Sewing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Frugal Sewing

Post by Lillia »

I would love if you'd share your frugal sewing tips.

I sewed for years. Life took a turn and I didn't sew for 4 or 5 years.
I now a have new sewing machine my sweet husband bought me and can't wait to start sewing again (I've basically done some mending). I'm starting from square one again with all materials.

All my sewing supplies are and will be purchased as frugally as possible.

Everything I have bought for anything to do with sewing has so far been from charity shops.

I have bought zippers and new binding for pennies.
I also wanted some lace and even at the market it was a bit more than I could afford that day but I found a new-ish duvet cover with the same lace around the border, at the charity shop...I now have 10 times the amount of lace, PLUS some fabric and all for £1! My greatest find are the pillow cases I buy for 25p each; take the seam out and there is a good sized piece of fabric there!
I can't find affordable elastic for PJ bottoms but have retrieved a couple drawstrings from other things.

I'd also love to see pics of any sewing projects, for some inspiration~ :-D
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Re: Frugal Sewing

Post by paddy graham »

I got some socks need darning. {rofwl}
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

paddy graham wrote:I got some socks need darning. {rofwl}

{rofwl} Send them on over, Paddy! :-D
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Lillia wrote:
paddy graham wrote:I got some socks need darning. {rofwl}

{rofwl} Send them on over, Paddy! :-D

They would have to go through quarantine first or you could be in trouble for importing a dangerous smell into th UK.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hi Lillia, you must have some good charity shops where you live. We have 5 in the little town where I live, but don`t seem to get any bargains in any of them anymore. )t'
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

mrs boodles wrote:Hi Lillia, you must have some good charity shops where you live. We have 5 in the little town where I live, but don`t seem to get any bargains in any of them anymore. )t'

That's areal shame, mrs boodles, when you can't find a bargain in a charity shop, isn't it? There is one here and honestly, the prices on their clothing costs more than what I can buy brand new at Pry-mark :?
But yes, there are 2 that I love here and can always find fantastic bargains.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I adore sewing and have a collection of fabrics which i have collected over the years at bargain ,offcut and end of roll prices )t' My next project is a cushioned lining for an outdoor chair hubbs is making for my birthday.I have a couple of not needed single duvets that i want to "quilt"and make covers for with some hard wearing fabric i have had for a few years.I suspect i will get the cushions done before the chair is finished though )j; !!I always keep buttons and zips from old clothes,and have been known to buy a garment from a charity shop just for the buttons :oops:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

madmum wrote:I adore sewing and have a collection of fabrics which i have collected over the years at bargain ,offcut and end of roll prices )t' My next project is a cushioned lining for an outdoor chair hubbs is making for my birthday.I have a couple of not needed single duvets that i want to "quilt"and make covers for with some hard wearing fabric i have had for a few years.I suspect i will get the cushions done before the chair is finished though )j; !!I always keep buttons and zips from old clothes,and have been known to buy a garment from a charity shop just for the buttons :oops:

Madmum, this is exactly what I do...my neighbor gave me old clothes she wanted rid of. I used much of that material to make rag rugs but I have salvaged any zippers, buttons, bows and drawstrings, that I could~ and yes, I have bought a few like-new duvet covers for £1-£1.50, just for the fabric.
Good luck with the chair lining~
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

A friend makes rag rugs, they look to be very hard on the hands. We have a beauty in front of our fireplace in the living room.

I am still using some of my Grandmother's buttons from one of my two button tins. I sometimes wonder who has worn then and on what. Some of the ones I shall probably never use have come off old button boots, and I have the button hook in my china cabinet. I've taken zips out of dresses, buttons off shirts, can't bear to throw stuff away, though He.. the Ag..d does benefit from my occasional throw outs.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I always make pillow cases from the ends of sheets when they've torn. I can usually get up to 5 pillow cases pending on the size of the sheet. Then if you want to go really mad embroider on the edge.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Maggie1 wrote:I always make pillow cases from the ends of sheets when they've torn. I can usually get up to 5 pillow cases pending on the size of the sheet. Then if you want to go really mad embroider on the edge.

Here I am taking apart pillow cases for the fabric, and you're putting them together~ :-D
It's a great idea, Maggie1 :-D
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

My button tin is a treasure chest of memories of my daughters childhood as I used to knit and sew most of her clothes and cut the buttons of when she out grew them :-D In the days when L Smashley used to sell dress fabric I could buy a remnant for coppers and make a pinafore dress that they would sell for £30!!! I wish they would start doing dress fabric again.
I am finding lately that the 'big name' charity shops are getting too expensive and are no longer the place to find a bargain. Some of the prices are ridiculous for what are after all second hand goods On the other hand the smaller ones run by local charities are still definitely worth a look for fabrics etc. I find that car boot sales are the best bet for things to cut up and recycle :-D
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I have an embarassingly big stash of fabric and all sorts of craft materials. I just can't resist buying when I see a bargain. Car boot sales are my favourite places for fabric hunting and jumble sales, although they are few and far between these days.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

I wonder where I can find car boot sales in Herts?
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Car boot sales are advertised in our local paper or sometimes you see a sign advertising one outside schools or sports clubs. There is a regular one in our local town that runs all year round but it isn't up to much so we don't bother to go there. Car boot sale season is from April to September around here.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.