Mr Spreckly's Bow Top Gypsy Caravans

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Beautiful caravan spreckly, what a talented OH. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

they are just lovely Spreckly, Mr Spreckly so talented. )app( )app(
manda

Re: Mr Spreckly's Bow Top Gypsy Caravans

Post by manda »

They are beautiful ...Mr Spreckly is very talented....I don't know why (because he drove a completely different cart) but it reminded me of Jack Hargreaves in Out of Town.

They are like the land version of the canal barge's with all their ornate decoration...very clever and beautiful.
(definitely needed a thread of it's own :-D )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Spreckly, Pinterest is a site where you save photos you like from all over the web. It's like having a pinboard that you pin pics to, but they are virtual boards/folders. You can categorize them as you wish, and add pics with a click or 2, very easily. :-D It's nice because you aren't taking others' pics as your own. You are merely saving a picture as a link to their photo/site. The photo you save will lead to the original owner/site that you pinned it from.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Oooh, Manda, I used to love watching Jack Hargreaves in the Out of Town series. Was a lovely man and there were always lots of interesting country things happening. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The interest in gypsy caravans all started with a chance encounter at a vintage rally, when we met a chap who builds and deals in gypsy caravans and drays. We found out that he lives in the next village to us, and struck up a friendship, and the history is in the pictures.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We discovered this old wreck of a van in the garden of the house where I spent my first five years. A childhood friend now owned the house, and as we were interested in classic caravans, we persuaded him to let us buy it to restore. He wanted to make a trailer out of it, but had lost interest in doing so. The van is a Wagonette, only eight made in 1965, and we think ours is the last to survive. The friend pumped the tyres up, dragged it out of the garden with a tractor and towed it over thirty miles. We gave it a quick clean, and OH started the renovation. A lot of the materials were recycled. Formica cupboards and worktops from our kitchen, sink and tap, cooker and lights and sideboard top all from other vans or donated.

It took nine months full time work. The pictures show before and after.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Wow Spreckly !!! that if fantastic .. )b( )b(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You and hubby certainly don't believe in letting the grass grow under your feet . Really beautiful gypsy caravans all they need now is a lovely big coloured horse with feathered fetlocks to set them off to perfection . Talented indeed )app(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I'm so incredibly impressed I don't know what to say. So artistic and talented. You were able to see from looking at that old wreck what you could do with it! You must feel very proud of your work, as you should.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

What an unusual hobby! Lovely. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wendy

Post by wendy »

His work is incredible.
He must be very handy for DIY in the home. )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Wow!! they are lovely Speckly, your husband is a very talented man and I applaud him. You must be so proud of what the both of you have saved )app( )app( )b(
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
MFMark
Lively Laner

Post by MFMark »

Those caravns are beautiful, both the Bow top and the other one. )b(

I married into a traveller family, they don't travel anymore and haven't done for many years, but they still have plenty of horses, Bow tops, Drays and everything else that goes with it, they go to Appleby horse fair and other similar events too. But I've since divorced myself out of that family and have now married again. :-D

I still see quite alot of them though, I bought my straw for my chickens off my ex sister in law.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all once again for your encouraging comments.

Mark, we have been to Appleby once, several years ago, just as a day visit. Our friend whose bowtops are on this thread goes every year - not with his wagons, just with a trailer caravan.