My new piano

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
manda

Re: My new piano

Post by manda »

Excellent...makes me miss having one now...maybe in the future. :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Nice picture, glad you are enjoying it. Is all the china back in place.

Richard wrote: At Christmas we used to sit around her Grand Piano and she's play to us (I was posh then :-D )
When I first got married we brought an Upright and I had to saw it to get it up the stairs to our Flat.

My Grandma had an upright piano in the front room, with all the family wedding photos on top (that made it rattle when you played it)
My mother and her sisters had had lessons so at Christmas we all sang round the piano.

For a while we lived with them as Grandma had heart problems, they had the front rooms (upstair and down), we had the back + small bedroom for me & my sister. So I had to go and do my piano practise in their room - which wasn't much appreciated.
I've still got that piano.

In my first job I shared a rented house. Bought an upright piano from an ad in Oxfam. Paid extra for the removal company to bring enough people to get it upstairs to my room. But it stuck and ended up downstairs in the shared living room. When I moved a friend said he'd like it, a gang of them came round, took off everything that would come of (a surprising amount) and trundled the frame through the streets of Stockton-on-Tees.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

[quote="Mo"]Nice picture, glad you are enjoying it. Is all the china back in place.

Yes, Mo, all china back in the sideboard. Went out and in a lot faster the second time.

I am enjoying my piano. Just been patching up some old sheet music from 1956 and 1960. Made enquiries about replacements, but can't get the same fingering and phrasing. Your piano made me smile Mo. They are so very heavy. My last one had to be carried to an upstairs flat, and back down when we moved. The downside is the hours of practising. My birth mother still plays daily, at ninety-three, and says that it will come back with practising.

Nearly everyone who learned in our village went to the same teacher, a lovely lady, who had a very long pencil, which she used to gently tap our fingers with. We were expected to do half an hour on the piano each day, and I had a practise book, which my parents signed, to say that I had done it.

Our piano was in the chilly front room, only lit for visitors and on a Sunday. I would sit and rub my chilblained heels in the winter, it was miserably, and I hated practising. During my holidays at my auntie's farm, the music had to go with me, and my auntie saw to it that I spent half an hour a day in her equally cold front room, filled with huge pieces of furniture, like a scene from Jane Eyre.
wendy

Post by wendy »

What a beautiful photo and piano.
I would so love to play an instrument and the piano would be one I would choose.
All the children had lessons, the only one who still does is my eldest daughter who plays classical guitar. But not often now.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote: Our piano was in the chilly front room, only lit for visitors and on a Sunday. I would sit and rub my chilblained heels in the winter, it was miserably, and I hated practising. During my holidays at my auntie's farm, the music had to go with me, and my auntie saw to it that I spent half an hour a day in her equally cold front room, filled with huge pieces of furniture, like a scene from Jane Eyre.

Oh yes. The 1 bar electric fire went on for half an hour before 'practise time' but the keys were still too cold for the fingers to work properly.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Spreckly wrote:Hopefully here is a picture of my new piano. No sound - you would not thank me for it.Image

Way to go spreckers. Enjoy it!!

Richard )c( )c(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Looks great in its new home spreckly, thanks for the picture )t'
Like you I have memories of having to practice for my lessons and hating it. I reckon its an age old problem for children past and present, up and down the country! However now as an adult I really wish I'd stuck at it so I could more than the first 4 bars of the Moonlight Sonata!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Miss Ellie, it is never too late to brush up on skills, or so I keep telling myself!

Thank you all of you for your kind comments. Going downstairs in a few minutes to have my half hour session.