My new piano

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

My new piano

Post by Spreckly »

My new piano arrives on Sunday morning, the only day the small firm can deliver. Hooray. So today, after our friend went back to Leeds at four o'clock, OH decided that the best place for the piano would be where the sideboard has lived for seven years. It took ages to empty it of the best china, Royal Albert, Shelley, and Wedgewood. Why I hang on to it, I don't know, but some of it is family stuff. OH and I both eat off ancient chipped plates, his from when he was a boy, mine from when I was at home. Must be some sort of security thing.

So with combined ages of one hundred and forty one, we lugged the extremely heavy, and now empty old oak sideboard across the room. It looked dreadful from inside the house, and from the outside. Back it came across the room, and two hours later, the room is now ready for the piano. We have moved every bit of furniture apart from my Grannie's Victorian card table, and the fitted TV cabinet.

OH said "at least the sideboard has had a clean out". If the piano men want it moving on Sunday, I shall go balistic.
perchy

Re: My new piano

Post by perchy »

Ooh how exciting )c(

Oh dear about the sideboard, I too have some lovely plates and we eat off ones that were 99p each {rofwl} why is that?

I have moved practically the whole of rooms round to fit something in, and nothing anywhere near as big as a piano, hope you have a lovely time on Sunday when it arrives {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So glad it's coming soon spreckly, looking forward to seeing some pics )t' hope you're having a relaxing night after your weight lifting earlier.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hooray the piano is coming - Spreckly if I turn the sound up on my laptop , will you play us a tune please ?
China , as everyone should know, is for 'best' or high days and holidays such as when the vicar calls or you have to impress Great Auntie Gertrude !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooh how lovely - a piano!!! )c(

When I graduated in 1996, my Mum gave me some money and, as she was a concert pianist at one time, I decided I would really love a piano. I went to a local piano shop and they had the piano of my dreams - small, black laquered...but it was sold. }hairout{

Anyway, a few weeks later they rang and said they had another small one ideal for me. It was quite sweet, needed the bass restringing, but I bought it anyway.

I really love it, although it is desperate need of attention - tuning etc etc, and unfortunately, I think it is wooden framed rather than iron, which I wasn't told and can be problematic. When I win the lottery I will have it tuned, bass restringed and take piano lessons (my playing is basic!).
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Wow! I bet you cant wait for morning to come Spreckly :-D May have been a bit of hard work making preparations for it arrival but it will be well worth it. I hope you many enjoyable hours tickleing the ivories. :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah memories, my Grandmother used to play Piano for the silent movies at the local Cinema, she'd do the sit there, watch the film and play appropriate stuff.
At Christmas we used to sit around her Grand Piano and she's play to us (I was posh then :-D )
When I first got married we brought an Upright and I had to saw it to get it up the stairs to our Flat.

So, enough of me, great news spreckers, we want an action shot by the way, not just the Piano - and don't forget the Candelabra on top

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

:-D Just had a daft thought, How many of the fella,s on down the lane that if their wifes, partners bought a piano, the first thing they would do is after its been installed is pretend they are playing it, pop their foot on the keyboard Jerry Lee Lewis style while singing Great Balls of Fire... {rofwl} I personally couldnt resist the temptation and I think the Mrs would expect it of me
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Well, it has arrived! I have spent the past hour playing more wrong notes than right ones. Payback time for the neighbour from ..... whose six dogs (in a semi), bark and bark, who crashes around at unearthly hours, and who has not cut the hedge back between us despite many empty promises. They have been treated to much Beethoven, and Brahms, and some hymns.

The very bad news is that it can neither live against the radiator (with a gap), or in the bay window, and we have to MOVE THE SIDEBOARD AGAIN. I have taken out the three tea services and the dinner service, and all the little precious bits of china in readiness.

OH is still out, he will be pleased, so I have drummed up youngest son's assistance to come and help us later this afternoon. He will be pleased as well, he has been at work since 6am.

The piano is beautiful though, and fits well with the other furniture, all of different shades, and woods.

Photo will hopefully be taken later today, and we will have a go at putting it on.

No candelabra, Richard, sorry, and no Great Balls of Fire, Bob.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Glad it arrived safely spreckly )t' good luck with the manoeuvres, it sounds like it could be one of those 'let's try it there...mmmm... no, let's try it over the other side....mmmm, no maybe over here.....or maybe just where it was to begin with!'
Looking forward to the photo
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Spreckly wrote:Well, it has arrived! I have spent the past hour playing more wrong notes than right ones. Payback time for the neighbour from ..... whose six dogs (in a semi), bark and bark, who crashes around at unearthly hours, and who has not cut the hedge back between us despite many empty promises.

If its payback Spreckly then I think you should practice when the neighbours are home in the style of the two greatest pianists of modern times, namely Mr Les Dawson and the Great Mr Eric Morcambe, " they are all the right notes but not necessary in the right order" :-D :-D about two hours a day should make you feel better. )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Richard wrote: we want an action shot by the way, not just the Piano - and don't forget the Candelabra on top

Richard )t' )t'

With sound )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hopefully here is a picture of my new piano. No sound - you would not thank me for it.Image
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Looks wonderful in its new home Spreckly.
LENNY24124
Lively Laner

Post by LENNY24124 »

Spreckly wrote:My new piano arrives on Sunday morning, the only day the small firm can deliver. Hooray. So today, after our friend went back to Leeds at four o'clock, OH decided that the best place for the piano would be where the sideboard has lived for seven years. It took ages to empty it of the best china, Royal Albert, Shelley, and Wedgewood. Why I hang on to it, I don't know, but some of it is family stuff. OH and I both eat off ancient chipped plates, his from when he was a boy, mine from when I was at home. Must be some sort of security thing.

So with combined ages of one hundred and forty one, we lugged the extremely heavy, and now empty old oak sideboard across the room. It looked dreadful from inside the house, and from the outside. Back it came across the room, and two hours later, the room is now ready for the piano. We have moved every bit of furniture apart from my Grannie's Victorian card table, and the fitted TV cabinet.

OH said "at least the sideboard has had a clean out". If the piano men want it moving on Sunday, I shall go balistic.

You are so lucky to have one I wish I could play one .I never did get the time Good luck with it hope it will give you lots of pleasure Lenny