What are your favourite Sport's?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

What are your favourite Sport's?

Post by Richard »

What Sports do you either follow or play, or used to!

Football
I used to be a Goalkeeper in small town league

Hockey
Also played Goalkeeper for a few years. I don't follow it or watch it now.

Golf
Used to play, but too expensive now

Cricket
Used to play reasonable standard Cricket, but prefer to watch nowadays!

Athletics
Was pretty good at 440 yards and High Jump. No more !!!!

Tennis
Used to play quite often years ago. Don't really like watching though.

I like watching Formula One.

So, that's me in a nutshell, all about 'used to' !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jacob123
Lively Laner

Re: What are your favourite Sport's?

Post by jacob123 »

I used to swim alot, I swam for coventry city swimming club but quit 2 years ago as it took over my life and I had no time for anything else, was training up to 10 times a week!!

Also play of rugby (not so much anymore), when I was swimming I was never really allowed due to the risk of me getting injured and not being able to swim, but that never stopped me! Hahaa!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Football... I use to play as forward as a school kid
Boxing..... again as a schoolkid
Running...liked cross country.

Dont play any sport now although I have been vaguely interested in joining a veteran football team, but would probably jack it in after a few games, when 60+ year olds are running rings around me :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Football......Always loved it ,Played for my school team as an Inside Right (does anyone else remember midfielders being called that ???) Watch football whenever I can these days Liverpool FC the biggies for me . Dont watch Scottish Football as it is dross (IMO)

Loved playing badminton years ago but a neck injury really limited that

not many other sports that really hold my interest

PS I hate golf with a passion as I find it really boring

Eck )bg(
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Football for me, always been pretty rubbish at it and never got picked to play for my school team or any other team that I trained with so gave up playing quite early. I have been a saints fan since I can remember, through thick and thin. I really think that football at all levels should sort itself up, too much cheating (diving etc) and too little will to resist from the uppermost echelons of power (I suspect that there may be some dishonesty going on there).
I enjoy watching international rugby and cricket but don’t watch much at domestic levels.
I have never played cross country hockey (golf), I have promised myself to have a bash at it and have a set of bats I can borrow. I really can not see the point in watching it on the box, pressing the off button offers far better entertainment IMO.
I really enjoyed the Olympic Games, I thought that it was a great thing for the UK and I wish our Para-Olympians all the best for their up-coming games.
I have recently got back into course angling (fishing) and have been enjoying that on a non-competitive level; I used to fish matches and was getting pretty good at the level I fished; whether or not I ever fish another match remains to be seen but my gut feeling is that I probably won’t as it isn’t cheap and it takes up a lot of time.
Bah Humbug
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

While I did everything that was put in front of me as a kid I ended up playing rugby for 25 yrs (god am I paying for it now) but since moving to the coast I am fishing (which I know isn't really a sport) but I am loving it and we are getting some good grub from it as well so the Mrs is happy.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
perchy

Post by perchy »

When I lived abroad in Singapore I use to be in a swimming team and played netball, I do love watching swimming and running, here is a pic of me taken a couple of years ago

)t'

sorry meant decades yike*
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Not sporty in the true sense but had to do school sports but did`nt enjoy them.
Iused to ride a great deal and loved it, had own cob and my daughter had own pony and I have worked in racing stable and riding school. Have`nt ridden for quite a few years but if I can get all this weight off I want to sit on a horse again.
Love to watch National hunt racing (not flat boring) and most horsey things.
Used to like watching tennis when there were characters like mcEnroe and Conners etc but now the tennis seems just mechanical.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I was rubbish at sport at school, last to be picked for teams etc, but discovered that I am a natural dancer. I love international folk dance, especially Israeli. Don't know if this counts as a sport, but it is certainly pretty energetic.
For watching, I love gymnastics and anything involving horses (except racing). But it was surprising during the Olympics the range of sport I found myself watching....
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I hated school sport and certainly never excelled - probably didnt help that I wouldnt wear my specs and by the time the tennis ball,hockey ball, rounders ball was in focus it was too late to do anything with it {rofwl} . Started horse riding at 10 and loved it . Had ponies/horses on and off until 10 years ago , preferred hacking to competition but did show my haflinger a couple of times at big shows - 3 counties and the Royal Show . Completed the bronze horseshoe qualifier on an Irish Draught x but was far happier galloping across a field or down on the beach. Do absolutely nothing that counts as sport now and I am another one that surprised myself by how much of the Olympics I enjoyed watching this year
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Going back to Junior school I had no interest in sport,it was Folk Dancing later in life it was Morris Dancing(just for the scrumpy afterwards).Teens it was Soccer,Rugby and Cricket,still is,but now adding Fishing(sea)and shooting(for food)and also now getting into Hurling and Irish football.
I danced for my school in the juniors and played soccer and rugby union at secondary level.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Like Rhubarb I really didn't like sports at school and felt I wasn't really encouraged much either. Always last to be picked out when they put you in teams - do they still do that by the way? I think it's ever so cruel {cry}

But since leaving school, I found that I quite like exercising and have been skiing lots of times as well. I've always loved swimming too and in the last few years I've been snorkelling lots on holiday which I love.

We recently were given some bikes, so I'm hoping to get back 'on my bike' now that I've had a good run with my back being a lot better.

I wouldn't say I'm a particularly sporty person, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics and I'm very much looking forward to the Paralympics too.

I do love a good footy game and rugby as well. I even like watching the golf, find it quite relaxing.

MyHubbly is very sporty, he will watch pretty much anything on the box and I've found it's rubbed off on me too!

Oooh we love going to the races as well :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

That is interesting, as it brings up the question of why don't I do the things I used to like any more.

I love swimming and bodyboarding.

I used to love badminton (but always difficult to book a court) and table tennis. I keep meaning to try the table tennis club in our town, but hate being indoors during the day. Friends have got a table tennis table in their garden, which is brilliant, but dependent on no wind or rain!

I used to play darts a lot, but no-one seems to do that anymore.

I would cycle more if there were more traffic free routes that you didn't actually have to drive to }hairout{

I do tons of walking and took up running in the new year (but I'm not very good at it even now!)
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Playing, badminton. I love swimming too and onsessed with Zumba though that probably isn't a sport :oops:
Watching..Formula One. love it used to follow it on the radio in 1972
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
andywatson
Learner Laner

Post by andywatson »

Unitll recently I was a serious runner
- although my chickens can outrun me on much shorter legs(?!)

Now I'm an ex runner with a knackered knee so I've gone back to cycling.

ps
I hope you are still running Sunny B
Last edited by andywatson on 09 Dec 2012, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.