Knitting question for Wendy, please

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Knitting question for Wendy, please

Post by Spreckly »

Over the summer I knitted myself three winter jumpers. One stretched so much that I unpicked it, hanked it, and it is waiting to be re-knitted. The manufacturers very kindly replaced the wool with some of a better quality.

The other two jumpers were better quality wool - or a wool mix, and I find that when I push the sleeves up my arms to wash up, and the like, the welts stretch also.

Can I unpick the welt at the cuff and re-knit them more tightly, or slightly shorten the sleeve, bearing in mind the increase rows? The sleeves are raglan, so if I unpicked them all, it would also mean re-knitting the neck band.
wendy

Re: Knitting question for Wendy, please

Post by wendy »

You can do that. If there is no problem with the neckband do you need to do it ?.
To be honest if it was me, rather than unpick. You can get elasticated thread. I would be inclined to stitch that on the inside every few rows. It would tighten the cuff and be far less hassle.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for your reply, Wendy. I have got some shirring elastic, but was unsure how effective it would be.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have used it on kiddies cardigans. But not adults. Provided you do it right at the bottom as well as a couple of rows up each time. Otherwise you will get a frill.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I've done it, Wendy, and the jumper I am currently wearing is heaps better for the cuffs being tighter. The weight of the sleeve was pushing them down all the time, it was so annoying. Thank you for your help.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've used the same elastic trick right across the yoke on a cardigan I'd knitted for myself - the neckline was far too wide and it slipped off my shoulders uncomfortably unless I made a real effort to keep it on. Very useful stuff :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.