What have you been reading recently?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

What have you been reading recently?

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

I adore reading. It is perhaps the one true hobby that I always come back to. So I was wondering what everyone else was reading?

I personally have read in the past week:
-The Midas Box and Wormwood by GP Taylor-both good reads but for different reasons.
-Dear John by Nicholas Sparks-I stayed up last night till I finished this one. Nicholas has a way about his writing that brings out our best characteristics and intentions.
-The Final Detail by Harlan Coben-This is another book in his excellent Myron Bolitar series. Good fun with a bit of suspense.

Next on my list is Clash of the Sky Galleons by a pair of authors that I can't remember because I've never read them before.

Looking forward to hearing what you are reading.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have discovered a golden oldie recently - Agatha Christie! I have been reading my way through her books after buying one on holidays in september. (I enjoyed it so much I ended up spending 100 euro on another while I was away :shock: ) I've always enjoyed Miss Marple on TV, but for some reason never took to the books before. Am glad though, now I have a whole new set of book to read my way through! Also reading Bill Bryson's Notes on a Big Country during my lunch breaks in work.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I seem to read more 'real' books rather than stories although I am currently reading a novel. I don't like thrillers, or unreal books (Tolkien / Pratchett type), or Harry Potter - I tried to read the first one and found it so predictable, I really couildn't understand what all the fuss was about.

I have been reading the Faith Addis series - Down to Earth, her diaries of down-sizing in the late 70s before it became a fashion. They are probably dressed up to make it more interesting but they are easy to read.

The novel I am reading is set in the early 1900s and then about 1940s. Not real people but real life if you see what i mean. I have also read all Valerie Wood's books, they are set in East Yorkshire and again although fiction are based on factual places and events.

I only get chance to pick a book up if I have a bath, or I have a little time between the jobs of looking after a family so need to have something that's not too challenging :-D

I have read all sorts from DH Lawrence to Alexander Solzhenitsyn and enjoyed them, it all depends on my mood and concentration span at the time :-D
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Thanks for starting this its always good to get new ideas and hear what other poeple think.

I love to read, my favorite hobby

This week I have been reading

"Enough-Breaking free from the world of More" by John Naish

I would recomend this to all looking to breakfree from the consumer cycle/downshift

"Confessions of an Eco shopper" Kate Lock The true story of one womans mission to go green

This is a good one as she looks into the pros and cons of various issues such as Organic food fair trade tea and coffee real V's disposable nappies, personal care products etc

She doesn't tell you what you should do but has done all the research so you can make a decision on things depending on your circumstances

Ian Rankin "Exit Music" Reubus retires will say no more in case people want to read it

Penny Smith " Coming up Next" blatant chic-lit great if you don't want to be mentally chalanged and just want a giggle

Just stated "She may not leave" by Fay Weldon so can't give an opinion just yet

I've had last week off my work and paid an extended visit to the library before I finished up !!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Babycakes wrote:(I enjoyed it so much I ended up spending 100 euro on another while I was away :shock: )

100 euro thats about £80 :shock: :shock:

I love Bill Bryson - Notes from a Small / Large Island, a Walk in the Woods and the one he did around europe. Couldn't get into his later ones though.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Ah, but I had a plan!! My mum is getting her knee replaced (hopefully next month) so I have tied them up with a big bow and given her them all as a recuperation present :-D Recycling AND brownie points )c(
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I've got 'Exit music' by the bed to finish after starting it on holiday but I keep falling asleep!

Real life is hard enough so I like a bit of fantasy, Terry Pratchett type stuff. Also a good cowboy or detective, no s.ex or luvy dovey stuff.
My o/h likes Bernard Cornwell so I do read and enjoy them but skip over the really violent bits.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

My current read is Necroscope IV:Deadspeak by Brian Lumley (f+

I love horror books and films after being brought up on Steven King
my absolute favourite.

My second fave has to be Terry Pratchett. I've got all his books and re-read them all the time.

Also love mystery crime and thriller like Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, and Val McDermid :-D

My favourite film is Watership Down :oops:
Jackie xx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Never read fiction.
Just reading Pigs can Fly, how to train impossible dogs. I am going to give them to my assistants for Christmas. So thought I would read it first.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I don't read fiction either, can't see the point in reading something that's made up, I much prefer autobiographies. I think real life is amazing.

I loved, Someday I'll find me, by Carla Lane. Also enjoyed My Life in My Hands, by Alison Lapper. A Northern Soul, by Jimmy Nail, fantastic. Don't Tell Mummy, by Toni Maguire, an emotional roller coaster.

Ilona
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I mostly read reference books at the moment, due to being at college. But I love fictional books, especially some of the classics. I also love poetry. Tennyson, Edgar allen poe, Thomas Hardy, that kind of thing...
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

For those who don't read fiction, the two best books I've ever read were Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography and the very long (and detailed Memoirs of Casanova.

Ben Franklin's stuff is short concise and very honest. It lets you in to see his life almost as if you were there. You see some of the major reasons behind his genius.

Casanova's memoirs are long but can be amazingly entertaining. His exploits are legendary and very, very numerous. Be warned that he can be explicit regarding his amorous adventures which again were very, very numerous.

On to what I'm reading. I started reading the previously mentioned Sky Galleon book but wasn't sucked into it. Will continue giving it a chance but may relegate it to the 'I'll eventually get to it" pile. I did pick up an oldy and a favourite by EE Doc Smith. I love Subspace Explorers and felt the need of a familiar read. One of his better books.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I am currently reading 'World Without End' the sequel to 'The Pillars of the Earth'.
I must admit, my mum lent me the first one and I thought "hmmm, a book about building cathedrals, not my thing at all" but I loved it SO much that when I eventually (it's a very long book) finished it, I couldn't wait to get started on the sequel. It's one of the best books I've ever read, along with 'To Kill a Mockingbird' :-D

Lucy x
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Oh dear, you all sound rather intelligent, I read anything that scares the pants off me.. I like stephen king, james Herbert, Dean koontz oh and i'm currently reading the Dexter books..very blood thirsty :-D
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I've just finished Gone with the wind, soon to be reading Monty Don's gardening book thanks to the photo comp. Ive never won Anything before ,it's great!!! (f+
Looove chucks!