Envelopes for home-made cards

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Stig
Lively Laner

Envelopes for home-made cards

Post by Stig »

Hi,

I mentioned a while back that my sons have been making xmas cards this year. They've produced a fair pile. We'd like to make envelopes to go with them - partly from DIY pig-headedness, but also because they're all sorts of shapes & sizes. Even just buying some is likely to be tricky.

Any suggestions on how to knock up a good envelope? First attempts have ended up rather limp & gooey. Thicker paper probably needed!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just an idea, The envelopes you get in the post, dissect them carefully, only opening them on the glued joins. Then you can use them as a template, and put your glue where the original was, if you get my drift. I find 90gsm paper or higher is best. The glue I use is Gloy Gum, for paper craft work. Be carefull not to go over the edges, if your children are small you may have to help them.

Ilona
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

I once made an envelope from roughly torn pieces of newspaper and magazine - I think I even incorporated a piece of toilet paper. The recipient was rather embarrassed to receive it - but has never again suggested I didnt write cos I couldnt afford the envelopes :razz:

I've since lost the template - you probably didnt want to borrow it anyway :razz: :razz: :razz:
www.vyxxn.co.uk
FREE RANGE MOTORCYCLING AT ITS BEST
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I have often made my own envelopes, especially if the card was not a standard shape. I undid a commercial one and copied it, as Ilona suggested - I just googled and found lots of free templates of some interesting designs. Not sure if they are 'post proof'.

When my kids made cards, they were always so enthusiastically glittered they were too 3D to fit in an envelope anyway :shock:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I often reuse A4 envelopes and fold them over and tape to hide the writing (and bring them within the cheap posting size). You could cut the written-on side to the height of the card, and the unwriten side to big enough to wrap round. (it might finish up a bit too wide, unless you want to cut and glue the side.)
Stamp or stencil holly on for a festive finish
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Thanks for those. We tried again using a commercial envelope as a template. Bit more successful this time, & I think with practice we'll get it.

Like the idea of re-using old A4 envelopes, I'm on the prowl for some at work today!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

we often re use envolpes and packaging, in fact a couple of christmas presents have gone out today in the wrapping they came in with the adition of a couple of hite sticky lables.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!