Found some more rellies!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Found some more rellies!

Post by p.penn »

I had such a lovely treat today - found out that the 1911 census is available online - albeit a bit pricey at approx £1 for a look at a transcription (approx £3 to see original so I didn't bother - later when it's old hat!)

BUT I found yet another pub my grandparents had in southwark (and it's still there) - and found out that my great grandmas were still both alive and that both their hubbies died between 1901-11. I only knew about one. AND my great grandma had another child when she was 43 which I didn't know about. )c( )c( )c(

So now I have around 2,500 people in my tree!!!! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Flippin' 'eck Helen, I wouldn't like to write your Christmas card list!!

Well done (f+
Jackie xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I must admit to throwing my frugality away and purchased some credits on the 1911 census.
I've been finding it easier to find out about my great great great Grandparents than my own, especially as neither of my Grandads ever spoke about the WW1 years.

I'm lucky as there is much documented history about my family, we were very posh and famous once you know !!

If I look at what has been, then look at me - well !!!!!!!!

Richard

PS - Pennies - is that why you drink so much !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

My mum's cousin is emailing us some information this weekend about the family tree. Apparently he has been contacted by some American who is distantly related to us and wants to find out more about mum's family (which is huge and ridiculously comlicated at times!!)
It's very exciting, isnt it??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
wendy

Post by wendy »

It does become complusive doesn't it ?
I found 5 siblings of my grandfather, that my father didn't know about !!
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

My OH started with Father (who I never knew) and ended up with an older brother in England and two younger brothers in France.(they don't speak English, I don't speak French) I have been to see them all, France was a laugh and also visited a second cousin in Canada. My mother wont tell me anything about her family so can't do any research on that.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard wrote:
PS - Pennies - is that why you drink so much !

Ha Ha!! Could be! :shock:

I think the internet is a fantastic resource for family research - hubby found my (very much alive) brother online and we met for the first time in about 2001! We get on so well, probably better than if we had know each other for ever!

The things that thrill me most are the 'extras' - it obviously is good to have names and dates, but , for example, the ww1 records give a physical description of the person. My grandfather had a tattoo and a funny foot.

I also have a real fascination with the way they lived and died, so try to find out as much about their way of life as possible. My gt gt gt grandfather was Irish and came to london pre 1835. He was a soap boiler in Whitechapel. Can you imagine how awful that work would have been and how much he smelt. It often strikes me that the lives of the urban poor women trying to feed and clothe their families must have just been a vile struggle from beginning to end. I like to know how they died too - fascinating.

I think I have a bit of an overactive imagination. When we visited whitechapel & the areas of London where my family lived, in reality it was unrecognisable from those days. But I could see the old buildings; feel the atmosphere of the past; see and hear the people and horses. It was amazing!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Up until my Grandfather [who came to London] all my fathers relatives were farm labourers. Perhaps that is where I get my love of all animals from ?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

How wierd is that Helen, i was bought up in southwark, bermondsey/rotherhithe, grew up ther most of me years all the family parents, sister, brothers , and a wide range of other family members alls till live there:)
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

Hi I admit guilty at having splashed out on 1911 census,i have 2400 on my tree,waiting in anticipation for East and North riding and Forest of Dean as not on yet.

I have been contacted by several adopted members and its great
I also had/have family in Southwark.

karen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My grandparents had at least 2 pubs in Southwark and lived there and in bermondsey all their lives!
Helen xx