Model Horses

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
sandcroft
Learner Laner

Model Horses

Post by sandcroft »

In my 'spare' time ( )th: ) I collect model horses. No, not so much Beswicks and the like, though I do have a few of those, I'm talking about plastic and resin model horses.
The most commonly available plastic horses are the Breyers which you may have seen at your local agricultural feed store but there are also the more expensive (and not as easily obtainable) Stone horses.
Now (and don't laugh as this gets very serious) we actually 'show' our model horses just as you would at a real live event except its indoors and the 'rings' are tables. Models are judged on their correctness to breed type, its biomechanics (if it was a real horse would it really walk/trot/ etc like that?), and the finish.
With regard to finish there are three main sections (it gets complicated here! :-D ):
Original Finish: This is primarily for such models as Breyer, Stone, Schleich, etc that are shown in the same state as they left the factory with no rubs, dings, scratches etc.
Custom: The same type of models but these have either been repainted or changed in some way or both.
Artist Resin: The expensive end where some models can be worth upto £1000 because only 25 or less of them were produced. The majority of these models are made in the States where this hobby is really BIG so the likes of myself and many others have to pay for them to be shipped here to the UK and also pay the inevitable customs charges that go with it. )gr:
Apart from showing my models, I also paint some too and below are two of my own:

This particular 'lady' affectionately known as Mabel has won a few Supremes for me. Unfortunately, I didn't paint her but a good friend of mine did:
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Oh wow, the one in the middle looks real! And I certainly wouldnt laugh at you "showing" your horses. I might be a bit jealous though - I collect snow globes and would love to show them off but have yet to meet anoyone else who collects them.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

That's cheating! What about the mucking out. They do look lovely and I think it's a great hobby. The grey is very much like our Rosie but she is an Arab.

BC our Son runs a little pub and he collects snow globes. We have spent hours in India, Southern Goa trying to find him one and they didn't understand what we were on about.
sandcroft
Learner Laner

Post by sandcroft »

LOL, that's the beauty of model horses. No mucking out, no vet or farrier fees, etc, etc, AND you can have as many as you want and keep them in a very small space! :-D
crystalj
Longlasting Laner

Post by crystalj »

They are beautiful Sandcroft. I always wanted a horse and used to pester my dad into getting one for me we lived in a town house and the gardens was tiny lol, I was only 8 :oops: I used to deliver papers to the houses behind a park, they had massive gardens one had a Shetland pony tethered up in their garden obviously set me off again. I never got my horse and my father is no longer with us but what I did get was prints of horses and a beautiful silver model of a horse for my 21st which I've treasured and will never part with.
Love Joan.X
sandcroft
Learner Laner

Post by sandcroft »

I was like you Joan, horse mad as a youngster. The closest I ever got to them was riding out in Spain. However, once my parents bought their smallholding and I was earning I bought my first pony though he was for my younger sister :-D .
I've kept Shetlands too (though not in the back garden LOL!), but went into serious pony breeding in the early nineties. Then gave them up when my eldest son was involved in a serious accident and thought no more of them.
We moved to our present property in late September 2000 but it wasn't until last summer that I got a call out of the blue from a lady who had one of my homebred Welsh Mountain mares. The long and the short of it is that Merry is now back home with me with a couple of companions; a 14.2 coloured cob gelding and a two year old Section B filly. Merry will be 18 this coming May but she still has plenty of life left in her and my eldest son is over the moon. :)
Sandra
wendy

Post by wendy »

They are very beautiful.
I collected cows [I just love 'em] But got so many I had to stop LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sandcroft
Learner Laner

Post by sandcroft »

I also collect pigs ( :oops: ) but I began to run out of space to put them all so hubby said no more :(