Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Post by Trev62 »

I have mention Geo Engineering on here before and how it plays a part in affecting the weather pattern/systems. The link below (you will have to translate it via Google translate) highlights just one of the things happening in this region and Bulgaria is way behind what many Western Countries, China and India are already doing on a major scale.

https://www.dunavmost.com/novini/testva ... zDq2N9xJZ0

I hope the link works.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Post by lancashire lass »

The link works (and google translated it to English) however, the cookie consent did not give you the option of selected or deny consent - I wasn't about to let a foreign site access to my internet viewing and storing data so I'm afraid I didn't read it.

If you could copy / paste some of the article and use the quote (it acknowledges that you are referring to that article) might be a bit more helpful to see some of the things you mentioned.

I was able to partially read the title about changing weather. Much of the geoengineering I am aware of is about trying to capture or remove CO2 (tree planting and seeding oceans with iron to promote algae growth, carbonising wood (charcoal/Biochar), weathering rocks (CO2 gas out of the atmosphere converts to a solid carbonate (crushing rocks to particle size and spread on farmers fields to speed it up, or pump water into volcanic rocks eg in Iceland), carbon capture from air via large fans onto filters, pumping CO2 into deep oceans (where the pressure at depths will solidify it) or reduce solar radiation by releasing reflective material in the upper atmosphere. Making it rain goes back to the 1950s (especially in the US) by seeding clouds with particle material (as it falls, water vapour collects round it and then becomes too heavy to remain in the atmosphere and falls down as rain)

Some types of geoengineering have some merits (the carbon capture via trees, rocks, filtration) but some are poorly thought out and could have dire consequences in the future. The deep oceans are not sterile but teaming with life that have yet to be discovered - messing around with the chemistry (CO2 in its pure form acidifies water) could be catastrophic in the long term. Likewise, seeding oceans to increase algal growth could tip biological balance (the excess nitrogen from fertilisers and manure seeping into rivers and oceans alone are causing problems) as well as interfering with solar radiation will disrupt weather patterns which are already unstable (after billions of years, life has evolved to expect a consistent level of radiation - the problem isn't the radiation, it is the blanket effect (greenhouse) of the increased CO2 and other gases eg methane from human activity reflecting the heat in and preventing release of excess to outer space and that affects the weather/climate - that is why the overall temperatures are rising, deserts are getting bigger, ice caps melting, storms are more devastating)

Combining a carbon reduction (not just burning fossil fuels but farming methods need to change (ploughing releases stored carbon), building projects should be reduced and made more sustainable (too many buildings have a short life and replaced - meaning the need for materials all of which are carbon producing instead of repair / insulate), rainforests and peat bogs (which are both large carbon stores) should be preserved and so on) with some geoengineering projects known to be effective and non-destructive are the only way forward. Then there's population growth - a sensitive topic which causes a lot of division (which is more about economics than consideration that more people means using more resources and land use which is unsustainable)