Big Green Gathering Cancelled

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Stig
Lively Laner

Big Green Gathering Cancelled

Post by Stig »

Not that I was meaning to attend or anything (I'm too old & definately not cool enough!), but I think this is a great shame:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... imate-camp

I also think it's part of a worrying trend, with the government increasingly intolerant of concerned groups expressing their views in public. Free speech & right to demonstrate are all part & parcel of democracy after all.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Re: Big Green Gathering Cancelled

Post by Dave »

it was going to rain any way )j;
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I agree Stig. What are they afraid of?
Confusing article. Wonder what the truth is.
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

The truth is that a large number of the people that attend these events are out of work and have no intension of finding work. They attend these events and as an attendee of a registered event they are allowed to still collect the payments from the DSS.

As a pensioner who still has to pay tax on my pension, I begrudge my tax’s going to these sort of people.

End of rant
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Silky have you been to one of these festivals? I agree there maybe some people of your description there but I know of many hard working people who attend such festivals. Many save all year and enjoy mixing with like- minded individuals. I dont quite understand why are you paying for these people?? surely it's the Government you are angry with for taxing your pension.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Silky, I don't know which sweeping generalisation to object to first - your condemnation of all festival attendees or everyone drawing benefits! :-D

Take issue with the workshy by all means - they are not automatically the same group of people who might wish to attend a gathering to address green issues. (or everybody in receipt of benefits.)
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Stig wrote:Silky, I don't know which sweeping generalisation to object to first - your condemnation of all festival attendees or everyone drawing benefits! :-D

Take issue with the workshy by all means - they are not automatically the same group of people who might wish to attend a gathering to address green issues. (or everybody in receipt of benefits.)

Read my words> i never said ALL.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Sorry Silky - I've just made a sweeping generalisation. )t'