Cavity wall insulation

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Cavity wall insulation

Post by Meanqueen »

As part of this Warm Front thingy they said I can have cavity wall insulation. Now I thought that the reason for cavity walls was to trap the air in between the two walls, because it helped to keep houses warmer.

I don't really want to go through all the noise and dust of having this done. So, does it work, will I feel a significant difference in the temperature in my house, keeping in mind that I am having my central heating fixed, although I won't be switching it on that much. Is it worth the bother of having it done, has anyone else had it done, and are you warmer?

Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Cavity wall insulation

Post by lancashire lass »

I wanted to cavity wall insulation when I was having my loft done but ... :shock: my walls don't have cavities! I don't know if it is effective or not, but I was convinced it would be a good idea )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Ilona,
It won't make your house feel any warmer but it will mean that once it is at your desired temperature it will stay warm for longer saving the amount of time the heating has to be on, which will save money. As it slows heat getting out it will also also do the opposite and help keep the house cool when it is hot outside.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks Dom, Now I am in a quandry. I am used to living in a cold house, I get teeny weeny gas and electric bills because I use very little. When I get the heating sorted I will have a choice whether to use it or not. I intend to switch it on only if I am freezing cold and my teeth are chattering. )grin2(

So, I have got to spend money to use the heating, but if I can hang on in there and see the winter through, the cavity wall insulation will be of no benefit to me at all. {warn}

On the other hand I might want to treat myself to a bit of heat, maybe spend £10 or so, so then I will get an extra hour of warmth after I have turned the heating off, a bit like a bogof :-D

My house is cool in the summer anyway, so no benefit there. Hmmmm, need to think a bit more about it. :?

Ilona
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

It doesn't make a huge difference, but it should feel warmer with the cavities filled with insulation. Air is a good insulator, so cavity walls are better than solid ones (of equivalent thickness) but air circulates in the cavity, stripping heat away. There were early concerns about dampness, where the insulating material formed a bridge between the two walls or even across the DPC, but doesn't seem to be an issue now. I suspect the foam is probably waterproof. It is usually injected through the outside wall & there should be little or no dust in the house, but best check with the builder.

If you are not running any heating then you will definately feel the difference rather than see it on your fuel bills. Also it'll help if you get condensation forming on cold walls. Heat is generated by all appliances, but especially cookers, kettles etc but even TV & computer. And your body heat of course! And you also get solar gain from your windows.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Stig, that's put a different light on it, you've made it sound quite tempting. )t'

Ilona
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

We've had it in both our bungalows and I'm sure it helps. Also there is no dust or upset. They drill holes on the outside of the house and pump the stuff in then make good. Job done.