What to do with wood ash?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
GrahamNR17
Lively Laner

What to do with wood ash?

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I have a bit of a dilemma. Throughout the colder weather I generate a fair amount of wood ash from my wood burning stove in the house. So far I've been at a loss what to do with it. I've been told it's ok to put it in the composter, but I'm not sure what benefit it has.

The local authority advise me to bag it up and put it in my 'landfill' bin. Now that's all very well, but the bag just creates one more bit of plastic in landfill.

Does anyone know if there's a use I can make of this ash?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions 8)

Graham
They said "Smile, things could be worse."
So I smiled.................and things got worse.
Steve the Gas

Re: What to do with wood ash?

Post by Steve the Gas »

My grandparents used to spread it on their garden, I believe roses like it but I don't do (f+ An amount but not too much in the composter won't hurt IMO, but wait for the more knowledgeable than I
manda

Post by manda »

You can sprinkle it under the straw in the henhouse..it's got a high pH so it neutralises urea pretty well. Then you could make a compost heap out of the bedding and by the time it's mulched down you could mix it in with the other compost....I'm not up on growing things but I make a lot of compost {rofwl}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
DaveF
Learner Laner

Post by DaveF »

I put the wood ash from my stove in the composter and since doing it the compost has a much better consistency (drier) so I think it is ok to do.
Also it does not seem to deter the worms. :-D
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Wood ash has been used in agricultural soil applications for a long time as it recycles nutrients back to the land. Wood ash does not contain nitrogen and because of the presence of calcium carbonate it acts as a liming agent and will deacidify the soil increasing its ph to 4.

It also contains calcium carbonate as its major component, representing 25 to 45% percent of its mass.

I would advise that you place the wood ash on the land.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I've been told it can burn some plants so I'd add it to the soil and not directly at the base of plants. (Some plants do like it though)
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
GrahamNR17
Lively Laner

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Thanks everyone )t' I'm really happy to be able to use this waste from the fire in a productive way :-D
They said "Smile, things could be worse."
So I smiled.................and things got worse.