Plastic bags and dog poop!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

We have got areas for dog walking that are public footpaths, with mowed grass for walking on and and on both sides there is 6 foot high nettles and brambles. I use my plastic spade to scoop the poop and fling it into the nettles without a bag. That way I save a bag, and no one will walk in it.

We have got people round here who bag it up then fling it, and it gets caught in the trees, how daft is that!!! )gr:

Ilona
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Ilona, that always makes me crazy, what is the point of going to the trouble to pick up after your dog, to then just throw the bag anywhere? i have seen some hanging from trees or just in the side of the road? Whats the point in that!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Dragon
Learner Laner

Post by Dragon »

Our dogs were trained to "go" as soon as they went out; I'd take them on their walk, then when we got back I'd nip out with a small spade and collect the poo, then flush it down the toilet.

Of course, since my dog was a doberman (sadly passed away now :cry: ) he'd often drop one while out on the walk, but he was quite shy and used to climb inside a hedge or bramble bush to do it! i used to leave it - there was no chance anyone would step in it and I'd get torn to shreds if I tried to pick it up! The farm dog's a lab, and never toilets off our land - good girl!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I wonder how many of the 3 billion Chinese plastic bags are used for dogg poo?
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

Maybe......another one for you to investigate !!!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jay
Lively Laner

Post by jay »

Meanqueen wrote:Hi Lou, Putting one dog poop in a carrier bag is a bit of a waste.
^b:

You haven't met my dog de bordeaux he can cra* for england. He can fill a supermarket bag in 1 go easily...
wendy

Post by wendy »

You treat it as a roundabout do you LOL
I have owned Akita's I know exactly what you mean :?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

When I used to walk someone's dog I used to use bread bags (nice and long) and the plastic covers you get magazines delivered in, if you slice them open carefully at one end they make handy bags!
cluck
Lively Laner

Post by cluck »

I have never brought dog pooh bags. I either use bread bags I have saved or tesco degradable bags. They are then put in a suitable bin if out. In our garden we use a spade & put the pooh straight down the manhole. YUK :!:
1 x Hubby, 2 kids, 1 Dog, 2 cats, 2 Chickens, 6 Rabbits
helynv
Learner Laner

Post by helynv »

Our beloved Border Collie died in July, but I used to buy value nappy sacks as I refuse carrier bags, and they were great - they break down in a few weeks because they are cheap lol! So I didn't feel awful about landfill :)
I'd tip any poo I could down a drain - I kept a special doggy-poo shovel - but then the drain blocked and I was told I shouldn't have been doing it - not sure why? It's all poo why would it matter from whom?
Helyn
Mum of 1 daughter and 3 battery hens.
Trying to live the "good life"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I take our dog to a field nearby that is owned by the local council. I always clear up after him, (nappy sacks or biodegradable poop bags) and carry it home to put in the dustbin.

Then I emailed the council to enquire why there was no poop bin as this field is known as 'the dog field' and sometimes you really have to watch where you are walking.

Believe it or not, less than one week later - a brand new poop bin :-D so now I don't have to carry it home.

Father-in-law has a delightful habbit when he comes round to cut the grass, he piles the piles on one of my rockery stones. Sometimes I don't know he has done it till the pile gets quite big, so out comes the spade and it goes in the dustbin yike*
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I use nappy bags too. I got bought a few boxes when Grace was born, but as we use cloth nappies we dont really need them. Jess is a funny one, she will only go in our own garden - she will walk miles and miles for hours and hours, then almost break the garden gate down when we got home to go for a poo!!
This means they are all in one area, so I can usually scoop up 3 or 4 in one bag. I have a lovely poop scoop. It is pink and looks like a handbag. It gets thoroughyl disinfected after every use (even though the poop never touches it) because Grace thinks it's a mini her-size handbag - she scoops up her balls and small toys in it LoL
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

On my walk, I often see bags of poop suspended off tree or bush branches, usually only a few paces from the poop bin and it makes me so cross - it's not laziness but a defiance of the poop rules which just shows how immature some people can be. My dog is off lead on our walk and she runs off into the trees and does it under the bushes so I know no-one will come into contact with it, and it will degrade naturally.

I do however carry a bag in case of mishap (she's showing her age these days), usually old bread bags but that's a good idea about the magazine wrapper too.