Weather - Are they telling us everything?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Weather - Are they telling us everything?

Post by Richard »

I've been using the Met Office website to get forecasts for some years. I use the five day forecast where they split it into sections of the day.

It seems that it's increasingly being changed up to the day before, even a few hours away. It isn't just heavy rain to light rain, it's heavy rain to full sun and vice versa etc.

I realise that Weather is changing and there are debates as to the actual cause, like it's from 100% Global Warming to a bit of that plus natural weather pattern changes as well.

But they seemed to be far more accurate than they are now.

Are there things they're not telling us? We are all doomed I know, but not for a few generations yet (so they say).

Seems the clouds get closer and closer, then change their minds !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I've noticed that too! Used it for a few years now - i've never seen it updated so regularly!

As you say - WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Richard

Post by Richard »

Up-dating - thanks Citrine - that was the word I was looking for.

Just before midnight it said heavy rain all day (with 'be aware'), now it's supposed to be a sunny afternoon.
Tomorrow was supposed to be rain all day, now that's changed to OK.

On todays front - it's not raining outside at the moment!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Its raining here, and we have the warning thingy, or rather, 'be aware'.

Will have another peek - im really curious now!!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I use their site a lot, I need to in many ways. During the Cricket Season I don't get much time off, so I look ahead to plan things a little.
Now I have Plan A., Plan B and C. etc.

I just wonder why the expected weather changes so quickly now compared to what it apparently used to.
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are right, they are hopeless. Even the day before they don't get it right.
I think an old man with a bit of seaweed did better.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's my point Wendy - is it the Forecasters fault ?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...perhaps they're using the wrong kind of Seaweed )j;
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've got it set up so that it remembers my postcode and says what the weather will do.
Yesterday the little picture was 'light rain' and today 'light showers'. But on the main forecast yesterday morning the clouds were swirling around us but we were clear. This was at the same time. (Need you ask? It rained)
*Di*
Lively Laner

Post by *Di* »

You know.... it's funny this thread has come up, cos we have been moaning recently about how wrong the forecasts have been etc, but mostly as you Richard has pointed out, they keep changing it day to day, or even hour to hour.. the times we have shelved or changed plans due to the forecast, and it's ended up being not half as bad as they had forecast just a few days before... it's so annoying when you change days round then turns out you were better to stick to original plans!!.. Thanks for bringing this up, at least it's not just us who argue we have seen a different forecast for it to only make out we have imagined it all!!!... :?

Dianne :)
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday...
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

I was only moaning to hubby the other day about how they have got it wrong every day in the last week. On one evenings forecast they said bright and sunning and 23c. I was so looking forward to getting into the garden. I woke up put on my shorts and t shirt opened the curtains and it was blooming raining! :cry:
wendy

Post by wendy »

When Spencer was in a Navigating Officer, in the Navy they use to :-
Take the sea temperature
Wind Speed,
Outside temperature,
Type and quantity of clouds
Height of Waves and swell and several other things that took about 15 minutes. This was then send by morse code to the Met office on the hour every hour 24/7 .When the ship was at sea. Loads of other ships around the world were doing the same thing and our weather forcasting up to a week ahead was always exactly right. Now this has stopped and they rely on sattelite's [s] there is no one the ground [or rather the water]
Wendy
Last edited by wendy on 02 Jun 2008, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

We have been noticing this as well, its been a bit of a standing joke in our house. We used to use the BBC one, I would look on it and it would say lovely sunny day and it wasnt, then when I looked again later its been changed to reflect what it had actually been doing!

Eh?!

Dont see the point in a five day forecast if turn out to be the complete opposite. )de:

Rachel
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I find though that the weather changes rapidly too, i got up very early this morning, and it looked lovely and sunny, and then by the time my daughter got dressed for school it was dark and drizzling!

Same thing last thursday, i got up did the chickens it was lovely and warm even that early, went to my friends for the day, had to get the bus, by the time i came home it was pouring with rain, and i mean chucking it down, we all had summery clothes on.....great!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard

Post by Richard »

"But for Kent, a reasonably dry and fine afternoon with the risk of the odd shower here and there"....

Canterbury 3pm, sitting on the Balcony having a cold drink in the Sun, then 4pm ..............

Photobucket

Photobucket

Two miles south in Chartham - nothing. Got home, 13 miles away, nothing!

We have (had) a Quarter Final match tomorrow. Looks like Thursday now, if we're lucky.