recycling

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
chickentina
Legendary Laner

recycling

Post by chickentina »

have just watched my recycling being picked up and they have just thrown it all in a big wheely bin on the back of the lorry and has been tipped in to the top altogether.

Does anyone know whether this is actually recycled or is it sorted or does it go to landfill..so therefore am i just waisting my time washing things out and separating into recycling.

They used to stand at the side of the road and sort it out into plastic/paper/tin etc

wonder why its changed confused>

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have recently seen something similar reported about this in a newspaper, tina, the company said they didn't have the right vehicles with separate compartments, so it all got put in together.

I think recycling systems vary so much around the country, they each council does it their own way. But I can't see them sorting it all out after it has been tipped out of the lorry, too much manpower involved, unless they have some kind of machine to do it. I think they can recover the metals with magnets but can't see how they can separate the rest.

We have separate vehicles here, Today the lorry has been for the general waste, and a smaller lorry for the paper, and glass/tins. Two men put the recycle into the right compartment. Next week we will have 2 lorries again, one for garden waste and the other for plastics and cardboard. Perhaps you could ring up your council and ask how they recycle.

Ilona
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Tina

We come under West Berks council. In August, after a year's anticipation, they started a new recycling initiative. We were given a green wheelie bin for garden waste 9not allowed to put veg peelings in though!), two huge boxes for paper, card and glass and a green sack for plastic and metal. All this to be collected fortnightly in addition to weekly refuse collections. :-D WOW, we thought.

However, it seems the council didn't actually think anyone would bother. They did not increase their staffing or recycling plant etc. :cry: Now they are tipping our carefully sorted recycling into landfill )ang )cn(

Sometimes I wonder if the people who run the council have brains....

Lucy x
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

mad chick ,

at least you have been given a green waste bin..our council want £30 a year ...we are with west oxfordshire disrict council

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx