ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

No, sorry. I'm a chicken.

CA!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Sounds like a great new name for something that was all the rage 70 years ago. (when MIL was bringing up OH)
And outdated and frowned on 40 years ago (when I was reading up on the subject).
They said then that babies 'trained' that way would rebel when they knew what was going on, at the 'terrible twos' stage, as a way of asserting themselves.

Sounds like it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it with love and respect for the young personality. It'll be wrong in one way or other but probably won't matter.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I was not brave enough to try elimination communication either - still dont have much of a clue when Grace has to go or has just gone 15 months later - at least not until the Smell arrives (and yes it does deserve a capital letter!!) Thats why I loked into cloth nappies to start with actually. I used to work in a nursery and one of my jobs was to empty the nappy bins at the end of the day sile} Most disgusting smell EVER!! I have to say that having used both with Grace, the dispicables DEFINATELY smell a LOT worse than the cloth nappies. When she is wearing a dispicable I can tell when she's wee'd because the nappy STINKS!!!!!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Yum yum. Part of my continued motivation to stick with the cloth nappies was that, before no. 3 was born, the council decided to only empty our dustbin once a fortnight. So I didn't really want it to be full of two-week-old poo. yike*

I think the elimination thing, at least in its current manifestation, derives largely from the fact that there are many people in the world who bring up their babies without the benefit of either a ready supply of disposable nappies, or a ready supply of clean water to launder cloth ones. And they find a way, and elimination communication attempts to replicate that.

It makes you think that we're very lucky to have the luxury of getting stressed about which kind of nappy to use!

CA!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Another very good point in favour of cloth nappies - our bin is one of the small ones, we fill SIX kerbside recycling boxes every week and still have not got enough room in our bin at the end of the fortnight. I dread to think what it would be like if we had 2 weeks worth of nappies to try to squash in there as well.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I used disposables on my 3 (in the old days when we had normal dustbins) but I used to flush the 'solid matter' down the loo before putting in the dustbin :?
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Kate, did you know everyone is supposed to do that? It's technically illegal to put human waste in your dutbin. It is supposed to be double bagged and collected seperately for incineration.
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Our ante-natal teacher told us that. I wonder if anyone's ever been arrested for it??

I think some of my kids' finest teething nappies would have defied anyone to spot where the contents ended and the nappy began, if you see what I mean! Thank heaven for flushable liners. There's a thought - would a disposable still work with a flushable paper liner in it? It would add little to the cost and make the disposed article much more pleasant, wouldn't it?

CA!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I use fleece liners. They were actually easiest "dealt with" when we were in Greece in september - the shower had fantastic water pressure and easily reached the loo, so i just hosed them off. Wish I could do that at home. I have seen shower-type attachments that are plumbed into the cistern but I dont thinkt he landlord would approve!!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

)ot: I clean my toilet with the shower head all the time :shock:

It doesn't get i there but I like to rinse with hot water, keeps it nice and clean )t'

Never knew about the human waste thing - not been arrested, phew :!:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Cloth nappies are still cheap

Post by liskeardjane »

ebay link

My youngest is 16 and they both had just cloth nappies as it was cheaper. I can remember friends spending all their child allowance of powdered milk and disposables! I was frugal then and breastfed, washed nappies and dried them on the line or in front of the fire. The haven't gone up! They are still £20 a dozen and a mum would need two doxen and a bucket and a pack of bicarb a week! Soak in cold water, rinse poo down the loo, rinse under the cold tap and put a big machine load on a day with more bicarb and spoon of soap. When you get them out shake like crazy to 'bring the pile up' and hang out early to catch the drying time. Wash plastic pants by hand so not to make them stiff and uncomfortable and if they get nappy rash give them water and get some air on their bums. Keep a spare pin attached to y'bra to remember which boob to feed them from next and use an old towel as a changing mat. Oh and buy your pram from a car boot sale and pass it on to some poor love at ante-natal who can't even afford that. I bought kid's clothes from booters too! When I look at them now It really didn't do them any harm!
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/