Low energy bulbs and chandeliers

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard wrote:For once, I'm quite speechless.
:shock:

Oooooh! Do I get a prize?!!!! :-D

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I really don't think I could be doing with the cleaning of them! My mother in law has chandeliers everywhere too!
I have a light fitting with 3 uplighters, the clear lightshades have now turned a sort of grey and one of the bulbs has gone - I know I bought a pack of 4 when got the thing but no idea were the spare is now!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Think of all the energy you are saving by not having all the bulbs working - very eco-friendly )t' And don't need to waste your energy looking for the spares!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I'm actually hoping to go to tomorrow and replace our low energy bulbs with normal ones. We have them all over and they come from different shops but I hate them. They give out rubbish light, we can't use a dimmer, some have gone yellow, some have leaked. We wanted to be green and have tried but they are useless.

Love your kitchen.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hubby uses a long life bulb in his inspection lamp (the more powerful wattage) working on his car in teh garage and it lasts ages and ages, a normal bulb keeps popping every time it gets a slight knock.

I have got a few LL bulbs around the house and have found that there are different wattages, the lower ones are rubbish but the higher ones are fine. They are ugly though, so I only tend to use them where they cannot be seen.

Aren't they supposed to be banning normal bulbs at some point?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, I think so. Which is why I am worried about my chandeliers! I did have the idea that i would stock up with enough bulbs to last me for life, but given that I am now 53 - how many do you think I should buy??

Helen
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think you need to ask Dave - way too complicated for us mere mortals to work out )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Normal (old type) light bulbs are being phased out by 2012 altogether, so you'd have to stockpile.

I had to get a 100W 'old' one for someone the other day and only one store out of five I went to who sell light bulbs had them!

The only thing I don't like about them is the warming up time. If you're in a rush in the dark and the old eyes ain't what they used to be, it's a nuisance.

But personally, I think the sooner the old one's go the better. At least not being voluntary will really show a dramatic change.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

P Penn your kitchen looks as mad as mine, its great.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Actually, it was only when i re-read the thread that I realised that it might look a bit mad to others - it's really just normal to me & the family! :shock:

Good job I didn't put pics of the other stuff in there......!!!! :oops:

Helen
Helen xx

spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

no its great, have just shown mr S who has told me "dont get any more ideas" - or words to that effect, the ceilings are too low to have things dangling and all i have managed to keep up so far are two hunting horns (cheap from auction) that need a polish. Thes have been moved to the living room ceaing where we have not filled between the beams so can hang a bit higher.
I think that there is nothing better than a kitchen that I could feel at home in.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

British Gas just sent me 4 free low-energy bulbs 8)

We don't actually use artificial lighting much. Sounds a bit odd but OH is quite sensitive to light at times.
There's no cure for stupidity.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

spudley wrote:no its great, have just shown mr S who has told me "dont get any more ideas" - or words to that effect, the ceilings are too low to have things dangling and all i have managed to keep up so far are two hunting horns (cheap from auction) that need a polish. Thes have been moved to the living room ceaing where we have not filled between the beams so can hang a bit higher.
I think that there is nothing better than a kitchen that I could feel at home in.

Have you thought about collecting jugs? I used to have about 60 of them on cup hooks along the beams!

Perhaps if you said to Mr spudley "darling how would you like a nice pair of jugs hanging from the kitchen ceiling" he might agree without realising exactly what you meant!!!!!! :-D

Helen
Helen xx

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

i dont think that he would fall for it......... :-D