Credit Crunch - A return to Broilers and Battery Eggs ??

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's a good comparism. A Big Mac Meal - how much - about £5 ?

So two eat Fast Food for £10 and you can get a Chicken, feed six people and still have change to buy some Organic Vegetables !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Since having our hens we eat less 'proper' meals, and more 'egg on toast' teas. we've cut down on our meat consumption a bit, and the eggs are the best! The surplus are sold to friends and relatives,60p half dozen if they bring a box. It pays for the food. I realise how lucky we are. My girls produced their first full 6 eggs from 6 hens in 1 day on boxing day. I presented them to my parents like the Holy Grail! And Babycakes is right, this website gives you direction and support in changing your life. But it must be harder for those with large families to please.

Good luck to everyone with their frugal ventures, and let's use this difficult time as a challenge to take less from our Earth.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Chicken on the Hill wrote: And Babycakes is right, this website gives you direction and support in changing your life. But it must be harder for those with large families to please

I think I'll print that out, frame it and hang it on my living room wall - I'm never, ever right LoL
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:It's a good comparism. A Big Mac Meal - how much - about £5 ?

So two eat Fast Food for £10 and you can get a Chicken, feed six people and still have change to buy some Organic Vegetables !

A top topic all round with some poignant points made.
We have stopped buying packs of chicken breasts because free range is just not worth it; instead we buy a whole bird and get at least three meals out of it by portioning it up ourselves. It is true that it is scientifically proven that battery meat is not a low fat meat as it contains as much as a burger due to the intensive feeding and lack of exercise.
Sadly I have noticed recently that, for whatever reason the proportion of the supermarket shelves devoted to free range produce has started to wane in favour of battery meat; I do hope that a booster series from HFW and friends will tip the balance in favour of free range again.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'll email him and see if I get a resonse. If so, I'll let you know because you're absolutely right in all you say.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

HFW wins hands down over JO, GR (and anyone else for that matter!).

The Chicken Out campaign was phenomenal.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Absolutly CC, I do not know how many times i have said this.
I would rather feed my children once a week on chicken and it be a decent one with all the protein and vitimans than feed them 2 -3 times week on load of fat and water. From a bird that has been living in hell on earth. This my opinion i do not judge people who buy different - unless of course they could afford but don't care! (i know a few like this) )de:

I think this is half our problem. we feel we need to feed our kids/family on meat everyday to give them a half decent dinner ??
Why ?? whats wrong with vegetable lasange or spag bol with a bit of mince and use the rest of the mince the next day in a pie?
A whole chicken could last a couple of days meals, or stew or cassoroles etc etc ...
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard

Post by Richard »

Absolutely agreed, but there has to be follow up.

I wonder if their new Series about 'good food' would have been filmed before Credit Crunch'.

I think they may be kicking themselves for not pushing the 'cheap good food' trolley.

Maybe they are. If so, apologies, but sometimes they do tend to move with the fashion of the moment.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

lou wrote:I think this is half our problem. we feel we need to feed our kids/family on meat everyday to give them a half decent dinner ??
Why ?? whats wrong with vegetable lasange or spag bol with a bit of mince and use the rest of the mince the next day in a pie?
A whole chicken could last a couple of days meals, or stew or cassoroles etc etc ...

Sound idea but sadly my hubby and kids are huge meat fans and so we have meat as the main ingrediant of our meals. No matter how big a joint or chicken I buy it is always eaten, and if its little they complain that there isn't enough.