Absolutely fuming! (Climate Change))

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Absolutely fuming! (Climate Change))

Post by Sunny B »

A friend sent me this link, when I read the article I was fuming! There is no doubt in my mind that we ARE in the grip of climate change - and it is a great shame that the phrase "global warming" was ever invented.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk:80/posts/view/78805

I told him to go to the library and take out "The Hot Topic" , read it and then tell me it's not happening!

I'd be curious to know what the paper had to say last year when we had the mildest January since records began...
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think most people have definite opinions one way or another, formed by reading books, papers etc, watching TV and deciding which they believe to be true.

I have to say that I am more inclined to think that the climate has always changed ever since the world began, there have been ice ages, the earth has warmed and the glaciers melted, in the 1700s poeple skated on the Thames, but that didn't happen again other than possibly in the 1940s when the country froze for months it seems. Then it got warmer. A year or so back it was incredibly windy all the time, the last few months it has been very still.

I am sure that man is causing a lot of damage to the ecological system of the planet, but am unconvinved he is changing the climate.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I don't know if the planet is warming in a destuctive way,but my opinion would probably go along the lines of what Dr. Bellamy said in the article. However, the negative impact we have on the Earth shouldn't be dismissed. We need to have much more respect for our environment.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

If we put a lot of junk food and rubbish in our bodies they change for the worse. Surely that is exactly what we are doing to the planet.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The other debate is - what will end first, Mankind or the Planet !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
hfbinnie
Lively Laner

Post by hfbinnie »

Well that one Richard that is a conundrum. If the planet ends first then simultaneously so will man, however if man ends first the planet will renew it's self just as it's always done and still doing now when man doesn't interfere.

I Believe as kate egg was saying. The Earth has always gone through climate change, part of it's cycle. However man is interfering with the naturing cycle by removing elements and adding elements so therefore the cycle is speeding up. An ice age is inevitable, it's just a question of when.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think the planet will continue, whatever. Just not the same, as now.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

What a good thread. When I read the first couple of lines of the article I couldn’t help but wonder how such an irresponsible made it to print. Fair enough Dr Bellamy (a botanist) has made his views on global warming (a subject which uses botany as a method of fact finding) but that doesn’t make it fact; it is not his field of expertise or indeed the subject in which he has his doctorate. Certainly the earth does have it’s cycles in temperature which are probably influenced by both internal (ocean currents, the ozone layer etc) and external factors ( the earths orbit, solar flares etc) but to claim that global warming doesn’t exist on the basis of a couple of wet summers and a cold snap for a few weeks just seems ludicrous; I would guess that these symptoms are more likely to be attributable to the breakdown of the gulf stream and north Atlantic drift oceanic currents (that maintain our climate as a pleasant temperate level).
Bah Humbug
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

There is no mention of global warming after the ice ages - it was just accepted as a natural change in the planet

The present global warming is just a scaremongering bit of spin designed to get votes and money out of the masses. Theres a big moan on at the moment because people have reduced their needless and mindless consuming of anything thrown at them ( which is what causes the greenhous gasses in the first place ) Surely if there was real concern then this action would be applauded :-D :razz: :-D
www.vyxxn.co.uk
FREE RANGE MOTORCYCLING AT ITS BEST
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes indeed vyxxzn.
I do think that humanities actions are affecting the climate, and the planet in all sorts of bad ways. But it is obvious from their reaction to the present economic situation that, whatever they say, this is not a priority for the politicians.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Mo wrote:Yes indeed vyxxzn.
I do think that humanities actions are affecting the climate, and the planet in all sorts of bad ways. But it is obvious from their reaction to the present economic situation that, whatever they say, this is not a priority for the politicians.

The polititians want to keep their jobs, they don't want to tell us we must stop using our cars and flying in planes, they would be booted out. So they leave the problem to the next lot, and they do nothing....

I really do suggest anyone who's interested does order "The Hot Topic" from the library, it covers all the arguments above, such as the earth's natural heating and cooling cycles, and so much more besides.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Link to 'The Hot Topic' on Amazon

(yeap, Richard may make a few pence out of it as well !!!!).

Seriously, reading the above, how does one explain the reducing of the Ice Caps, pollution on the top of Mount Everest, the holes in the Ozone etc. if it's a natural evolutionary change ?

I'm sure Planet Earth is going through changes as it always has done and always will, but surely the evidence is that we're speeding it all up somewhat.

I agree that Governments are somewhat slow in getting us to go Green and the technology is there for a complete cleaning up of Roads and other.
Building a few Cycle Lanes is just decoration and not a sincere gesture.

We are simply passing through this Planet, a mere speck of time in it's existance, sort of temporary Caretakers for Who or What makes it all tick.

Too many wipe it out their minds simply because they won't be here when going down town will require a nose mask etc.

But it's not simply about saving the Planet, it's about having a more comfortable experience of life as it is.
With all the increase in Asthma and other respiratory conditions (it weren't like that when I were a Lad), surely someone has to take it by the how's your father's and act.

But then, we may do that here, but will the rest of the World follow !
As for scaremongering, fair enough, most know the World's not going to end in five years because of this - maybe it's going to take 50,000 years, but it's still about us being responsible people.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:With all the increase in Asthma and other respiratory conditions (it weren't like that when I were a Lad), surely someone has to take it by the how's your father's and act.

)ot:
I watched a programme in the box the other day suggesting that apart from the obvious effect of pollution on the human body the increase in the use of personal hygiene products can also be blamed for the increases in allergies and asthma. The reasoning behind this is that we have over millennia evolved to react to natural parasites such as lice, worms disease etc. by eradicating these things we have left ourselves with an immune system which is over developed for the modern way of living. Additionally we have inadvertently destroyed the outer layers of our primary defence 9the skin0 by ritual bathing with chemical detergents. The result of which is that seemingly inert trigger such as contact with a cat can cause a breach of the primary defence and cause a rapid response from an over developed immune system; hey presto an allergic reaction. This is why many third world countries don’t suffer the alarming level of allergies found in the so called developed world.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks SS - excellant reply. )t'
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Just skim read this as have small girl to pick up but i can remember watching a program that resonsed very convincingly that 'Global warming' was a mothod of social control now that the threat of a 'cold war' has been lifted.

Just thought i throw that 1 in the mix, can't wait to see your responces along with Mean Queen on TV tonight!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!