Making things is recycling

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Making things is recycling

Post by Meanqueen »

Carrying on from my post in Hobbies.....

Some people might think it's a bit silly to make things when you can buy them so cheaply in the shops. Our cottage industries have been destroyed by importing everything we might possibly need, I am a big culprit of buying cheap tat from China I'm sorry to say. But now I am trying to redress the balance, if we have to have all this stuff coming in, why not try and turn the tide, make something usefull out of stuff we throw away. A form of recycling if you like, better than throwing it all in a big pit or making a mountain out of it. It makes sense to stop importing and become more self sufficient, as a whole country.

I told my friend that I am making a coffee table out of cat food boxes, she said, you can go and buy a cheap one for a few pounds. I said, that's not the point, I don't actually need a coffee table, I am just exploring the possibilities of making something out of rubbish, giving me a sense of achievement. A pound less spent is one less import. I realise I am never going to make any difference, but I feel I have to do something.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Its really hard to make do and mend when its often cheaper to replace!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

A friend of the family used to make wicked plant pot holders for the garden using old car tyres (and I don't mean stack them on top of each other LOL), and then painting them white. They looked so professional and so clever.

The other thing about recycling versus buy cheap - often it is a time factor. I used to love making things but I'll be honest, I don't even have time to clean & tidy my house these days never mind making something when it is quicker to buy it :shock:
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I think part of it is to make it or fix it for the pleasure of doing it too- its so much harder to do things that one doesn't enjoy!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Definately, yes, agreed! Something made has a million times more value than something bought. Why fill your home with mass-produced expensive tat, when you can have something hand made and unique?