Battery farming

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Willow
Legendary Laner

Battery farming

Post by Willow »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2064268.stm

In this little clip from 2002 I believe, it said that new bare battery cages will be banned from 2003..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

The so called "enriched" cage is seriously under threat now too, we may end up treading water on this one, in my book enrichment is a warm chicken house & run with earth & things to do, how we have all provided for ours, not a barren cage with no space & things to squabble over still.
Realistically speaking, it's the hidden eggs in produce which is the problem, how many eggs does the average person really eat a week, as an egg, not in things? if it was thousands, we'd "all" be egg bound :shock:
I used to buy baked beans with veggie sausages in them, can't have them any more, they have egg in. I now inspect every label since I got the girls, it is quite amazing where a flippin egg turns up.
Mayonaise was the hardest to buy, it can say organic or suitable for veggies, but not free range, unless it says it, surely it's not.
Cheers
mel x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The enchanced cage is a tad bigger and has a bit of wood in it (perch)!

I believe that the relevant European politicians see this as a really enormous move for mankind and they are sorting things out for a better world!

I see it as - slightly bigger cage with a bit of wood in it.

Richard

I think the change is European Law and we must go along with it|?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I bet the french don't :?
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

No chicken or any animal should be caged to the degree it cannot feel grass beneath its feet, perform natural behaviours and has fresh air to breath.
Finding food with free range eggs isn't easy. I managed to get some Tartare Sauce from Simply Delicious the other day. I was surprised, as I knew they do the mayonaise.
Spend my life scouring the labels on the back of things.
It is great that we are all bit by bit changing people's shopping habits to not buy caged eggs. But we have to change their buying of Helmans (c) Mayonaise, change the cake makers choice of where they source their eggs. Again the only way is to vote with our money and tell the manufacturers we will not buy the products until they do change.
So I am sure they are all fed up with me. But I also praise if I see a product that has free range, where it hasn't before.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Battery farming

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy

I know it only too well - reading labels. I have a big down on large manufacturers. They cannot leave anything alone, it has to have this, that and the other added to it, Why?
We were told that hydrogenated oil gives the 'product' (not food?) mouth feel, are our senses so poor that we need this?
All animals deserve a good, decent, natural life and this has to be paid for by the consumer. I get so fed up of 'offers' in the supermarket which at the end of the day are total rubbish.
There again people buy it??