Caged Hen Eggs - BBC News - Victory WILL be ours !

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well, Battery Hen eggs the main item on the BBC News and the Minister saying how long all this is overdue!

We are smelling the sweet first signs of victory!!

Apt for the HM Gov to announce this only 3 days before the Jamie Oliver programme ?!!

Nice to see that CIWF got a big mention and the interview with the RSPCA - They do work hard for all animal welfare!

Must admit, I have a tear and a lump in my throat !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Richard
It is a great victory but, the EU ruling was to ban this anyway in 2012 - Hilary Benn, I felt was saying it as if it was his idea??

Please don't get me wrong in this post, so many people and organisations have campaigned rigorously for so long and for it to happen is not before time.

It disturbed me that the 'farmer' on the broadcast said he saw nothing amiss in what is happening now. He added that he could not afford to change and that people wanted cheap food. He will not be alone in his attitude which is bought on by the greed of these people, sell 'em cheap and stack 'em high......
Richard

Post by Richard »

My main point is that it's made the main news item on the 6 o'clock news, something I would have never believed even 6 month's ago.

We are a long long way from the final solution, but this is a week to celebrate for the public awareness about chickens and the food we eat in general.

Yes, it is confirming partly what we knew, but I believe that if this campaigning goes on, people will only be buying better eggs by then.

What are they going to label them as....

'Eggs from enchanced hen cages' ?

We can all be very proud this week of whatever part we've played, it's just capped by celebs getting on board and the absolute sterling work that the likes of CIWF, RSPCA, VIVA and others do.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

I am with you Richard in the fact that it is news, that wouldn't have been thought of 6 months ago, and that is great.
When it came on, I did say to Spencer yeah, but they will then be in the 'enriched' cages.
But public awareness is what it is all about and I don't care what celeb stands up and is counted.
As you say it is a victory. But only one battle. The war goes on.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Whilst I didn't see the news I do ask for caution. I wouldn't put it past this government to say this as there's so much publicity this week. In a few months it'll all be forgotten.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hear, hear Russell

When it came on I was in tears (joyful) then Chris said, why aren't they debating that in parliament instead of their enormous pay-rises...
Richard

Post by Richard »

Battery Farming is a small world and a very closed one at that.

I found out by chance today that a colleague at KentCCC was raised on a Battery Farm where his father worked.

I have asked him to ask his Dad (now retired) if he wouldn't mind a 'secret' interview for the website.

I got a job in one about 5 years ago - yes - but I got the sack before I started. They got wind of what I was up to.
My plan was to start the job, take a load of photo's, see what they did then resign.
I think I was, maybe even now, a marked man !
(I sdhall edit this paragraph out in a few days)
Richard

Post by Richard »

You are right Russell in so far as a fashion, something often mentioned on forum.

I came accross a little criticism for how I handled the writing to Supermarket letters.
In no way was I against this - it is essential to do these things.

My point was by writing to your local MP, who has weight - and supporting charities who have feet under Government Minister, Fleet Street and TV Company doors, you will see better results.

Supermarket companies etc., will either reply with the standard 'whatever' letter or simply discard it altogether. If CIWF, HFW, Jamie Oliver or the RSPCA turn up on their doorstep - they get worried !

Best still is to become the local rebel with a cause!!

We could have a collective Forum Fund for those being arrested for causing a disturbance in local retail outlet - you get a record, we bail you out, but the local press value !!!

Regret when I got slung out, they didn't call the Feds !!
Richard

Post by Richard »

For those who missed it

CLICK HERE
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

theyve gone to a place where the chucks look in good condition in the battery cages i bet that doesnt look like most of the chucks they all have all their feathers for ***** sake and they looked very clean what a jaded view
wendy

Post by wendy »

Your are right Paxo. My first girls were not good, bad really. But the last batch I got through Mel were disgusting. My little Gladys was covered in some kind of engine grease. Remnants are still on her chest feathers now, five months later. The poor little soul didn't have many feathers and those she had were covered. Also many that came from the same batch were crawling with lice.
I have a girl on the forum who had hens from the next batch, same farm. A couple of her girls are even worse with the grease than Little Gladys.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

have relooked at the film and i really do think they could have shown them in a more realistic light!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, but that poor Farmer, show some sympathy!

)de: )de: )de:

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Think that farmer ought to take a trip to Specsavers!
)de: )de: )de: )de: )de: )de:
Or to my door )chu: )chu: )chu:
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

That farmer seemed to enjoy what he was putting these poor girls through! I feel cross after seeing this. However the government don't give a monkey's about battery hens, they might make a statement now but as someone pointed out, it will all be forgotten after time. Just awful, I really would like to take on more hens.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!