Two for a Fiver - How about Two for £4.50

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
suffolkhens
Lively Laner

Good morning

Post by suffolkhens »

Well it seems I sparked off a healthy debate with my post of last evening. Surely that is good for the forum.

In retrospect I feel that maybe I did go a bit over the top with some of my comments so apologies to anyone who was offended - I truly wasn't targeting anyone in particular.

Regarding the chickens bought at my local auction, they were already plucked but drawing them and removing their heads and feet really was straightforward, not enjoyable at all but satisfying to know that should I have to, I could.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks suffolk, I agree that healthy debate is good.

Strong views either way or the other are greatly appreciated and you are also right in you indicate there are and should not be any personal issues.

The fact that about half an hour ago, we had the most amount of registered members on forum since it was started must show that people are interested in what other peoples opinions are.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

To Suffolk Hens

Everyone keeps hens for different reasons, ours are pets for our lad who is very ill. Ok, they are pets for us too. They provide us with eggs so they keep themselves. When they stop laying we will keep them as they are still pets. We will rescue more ex batts to provide eggs. We built our own coop, others do too, what is wrong with different and often hilarious designs that protect the hens?

We are meat eaters and friends used to often bring me rabbits, partridges, pheasants and all sorts they had shot, and yes, I can pluck, gut, skin and eat these.

Years back most families kept chickens, we can be practical too, I couldn't kill my own for food but could do a reciprocal agreement with another hen owner if I had to do the deed, same object achieved.

All animals and birds deserve respect and decent treatment, I cannot see your problem with what we do!
Everything comes to those who wait...
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

My birds are really good layers and we use or give away all their eggs, BUT they are also pets. They provide me with a hobby that is a great release from the stresses and strains of a hectic full time teaching job and a being a busy mum. I enjoy enriching their lives with treats, ramps, toys etc as it keeps them and me amused!I have wanted to keep chickens for years but due to my job found it difficult, until we moved house with more garden space and found a wonderful neighbour who helps out whenever I can't get home in time.
I love this forum and have learned so much. I think that we all need to be able to express our ideas and thoughts, as long as it is in a non threatening way. After all, if we all agreed on everything then there wouldn't be much point in most of the forum would there? Healthy debate is good for the soul!!
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

By the way - in case anyone wonders - I use free periods to post my replies - I don't try to teach at the same time..........but I enjoy logging on at work as it takes my mind off marking, assessments, targets, ^b: etc. etc. etc.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Well done Al B, my sentiments too.

Suffolk Hens... the reason alot of people go for Wendy Houses is often the same one that prompted us to build our own coop: Money! Time and Resources. It is also a form of recycling, brilliant in itself.

A ready built coop is often £200-£300 compared to £30-£70 average for a Wendy house, or in our case £10 to build a coop with wood supplied by our neighbours.

It makes sense to improvise where we can, it does make a difference. What's wrong with making their homes afocal point? I think it's brilliant, inventive and practical.

Having said all that I think your idea of going to auctions for live or dead birds is very, very smart, well done you )t'
Everything comes to those who wait...
suffolkhens
Lively Laner

Coops

Post by suffolkhens »

Nettles,

I agree entirely. Having made the mistake of buying our first ark and birds from a local company - We paid £90 for the ark and £25 each for 2 "purebred" sussex lights.

My cuckoo marans (from auction £1 each) and Sussex cockerel (£1.50 at auction) now live with the other hens in a converted shed (£15 from the local paper) and have old wooden wine cases as nesting boxes (£1 each from the side of the road).

The new bantams have taken up residence in the old ark.

An expensive lesson!

I love the excitement of the auction and never knowing in advance what will be there adds a certain something too
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There are dangers to improvisation too.
Years ago we built an arc by cutting an old garage door in half. It was SO heavy to move! And the improvised run wasn't fox proof.
So we bought supermarket eggs till I couldn't face the thought of commercial eggs any more, then went down the expensive route as I could afford it and didn't need to see them as 'cheap eggs', which they never are.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Two for a Fiver - How about Two for £4.50

Post by AnnaB »

Hi suffolkhens and Jeanette

I admire both of you as I could not do the cleaning and plucking - don't think I could, maybe if I really had to??
I bought a chicken once when I was a lot younger from a market. It hadn't been cleaned inside and I couldn't put my hand in......

I find it really good on the forum that so many people make their own hen houses and so much is recycled. I must admit to buying the timber etc for both the coop and run, but with such a handy man as I have, a lot of money was saved on labour.
ps I did have to make many, many cups of coffee though!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Ok so maybe Suffolk hens was a little 'pointed' at first, but has opened a healthy debate on the why's and hows of us backyard chook keepers..
I think most of us here keep chickens simply because we like them! They're funny, make us smile even when we've had a lousy day and provide us with the freshest eggs possible. The lovely people on here who have given homes to ex batts also have an enormous 'feel good factor'..
We're not daft - we all know that the size, shape, colour or cost of the secure coop realy doesn't make a jot of difference to the hens as long as they have what they need for comfort. The look of the place is purely for the benefit of the owner and there's nothing wrong with that..
Some of us can kill a bird for the table and others (including myself and my partner) definately couldn't.. We had a chat recently and came to the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to eat one of our birds even if someone else did the killing, plucking etc ect.
No rights or wrongs, its personal, and as long as the kill is humane then I for one wouldn't think it was wrong for some one else to eat their own birds. In a different situation - maybe if my children were starving - then I probably would 'do the deed' myself but there is no need so its my choice.
We have spent more money on the coops and run than we'll ever make back on the eggs we sell.. but our ladies are worth it, they simply make us happy, they give us more pleasure that we thought possible,but only 'pet' chicken keepers would truly understand that.. no more to say really... :-D (f+ :-D ))sun
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein